Matthew D. Bivona’s practice includes all aspects of finance, corporate and securities law. Mr. Bivona has represented borrowers and lenders in secured and unsecured credit facilities and other lending arrangements, issuers in high-yield offerings, and debtors and creditors in distressed debt restructurings; public companies in ongoing corporate and securities matters; and real estate and hospitality companies in a wide range of financing activities, including mortgage and mezzanine lending arrangements, equity finance and joint ventures.
Practice & Background
Mr. Bivona received a B.A. summa cum laude in psychology and a B.A. in political science from the University of Oklahoma, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. magna cum laude in 2008 from Southern Methodist University, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. Mr. Bivona was a member of the Southern Methodist University Law Review Association from 2006 to 2008 and an associate managing editor from 2007 to 2008. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and the Dallas Bar Association.
Mr. Bivona’s recent representations include advising:
- a public hotel REIT in connection with general corporate, finance and securities matters, including acquisitions, dispositions and joint venture transactions, tender offers, Rule 144A offerings, credit facilities and CMBS loans, and registered equity offerings
- various hotel and office building owners in connection with asset acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures and finance transactions
- various private equity funds in connection with real estate debt and equity investments and joint ventures
- a national movie exhibitor in connection with various securities, finance and merger and acquisition transactions
- a shipping company in connection with debt finance matters
- a public consumer products company in ongoing general corporate and securities matters, including securities filings, an equity line of credit, a stock option repricing tender offer and a reverse stock split
- various borrowers and lenders in connection with secured and unsecured credit facilities and other financing arrangements, including transactions in the hospitality industry, shipping industry, oil and gas industry, technology industry and entertainment industry.
Mr. Bivona’s community, civic and charitable activities include providing pro bono legal counsel ranging from corporate organizational work to advice on finance, mergers and general risk management for various charities and nonprofits, with particular emphasis on nonprofits supporting local film and music. In addition, Mr. Bivona is a recipient of one of the firm’s Dallas Office Pro Bono Awards for 2012 and 2014.