Matthew D. Bivona’s practice includes all aspects of finance, corporate and securities law. Mr. Bivona has represented issuers in securities transactions; public companies in ongoing corporate and securities matters; buyers and sellers in public and private mergers, acquisitions and private equity transactions; and borrowers and lenders in secured and unsecured credit facilities and other financing arrangements.
Practice & Background
Mr. Bivona received a B.A. summa cum laude in psychology and a B.A. in political science from the University of Oklahoma, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. magna cum laude in 2008 from Southern Methodist University, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. Mr. Bivona was a member of the Southern Methodist University Law Review Association from 2006 to 2008 and an associate managing editor from 2007 to 2008. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and the Dallas Bar Association.
Mr. Bivona’s recent representations include advising:
- a public hotel REIT in connection with general corporate, finance and securities matters, including acquisitions, dispositions and joint venture transactions, tender offers, Rule 144A offerings, credit facilities and CMBS loans, and registered equity offerings
- various hotel and office building owners in connection with asset acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures and finance transactions
- a national movie exhibitor in connection with various securities, finance and merger and acquisition transactions
- various special-purpose acquisition companies in connection with target business combinations
- a public consumer products company in ongoing general corporate and securities matters, including securities filings, an equity line of credit, a stock option repricing tender offer and a reverse stock split
- a private, equity-backed global logistics company in connection with several Rule 144A secured debt offerings, debt tender offers and an international debt exchange offer
- various borrowers in connection with secured and unsecured credit facilities and other financing arrangements, including borrowers in the oil and gas industry, technology industry and entertainment industry.
Mr. Bivona’s community, civic and charitable activities include providing pro bono legal counsel ranging from corporate organizational work to advice on contingent liabilities, insurance matters and general risk management for various charities and nonprofits, with particular emphasis on nonprofits supporting local film and music. In addition, Mr. Bivona is a recipient of one of the firm’s Dallas Office Pro Bono Awards for 2012 and 2014.