- Represents companies and individuals in high-stakes, white collar and regulatory investigations and litigation.
- Served for five years as a federal prosecutor and four years as an enforcement attorney at the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Mike Asaro is co-head of Akin Gump’s white collar defense and global investigations practice group. He focuses on white collar criminal defense, SEC and Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) investigations, corporate internal investigations and complex commercial litigation. Mike also regularly advises investment firms with respect to compliance with the federal securities and commodities laws.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of Special Committee of Board of Directors of Eastman Kodak Company into issues related to trading and options grants in advance of public news announcement. Also represented Eastman Kodak Company in connection with related SEC and New York Attorney General investigations.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of Audit Committees of two public companies into allegations of accounting improprieties at a joint venture co-owned by both companies.
- Represented hedge funds and their employees in connection with multiple investigations by the SEC, DOJ and U.S. Congress into issues related to the application of insider trading rules to the political intelligence industry under the STOCK Act.
- Defended executive of international investment bank who was the target of a criminal investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts into allegedly fraudulent subprime mortgage securitizations. Convinced the U.S. Attorney’s Office to resolve the matter without any charges against the client.
- Represented high frequency trading firm in connection with investigations by the DOJ, CFTC, and CME into alleged scheme to manipulate the futures markets through spoofing.
Public Service and Affiliations