- Handled many of the most significant False Claims Act (FCA) cases involving federal research and the Uniform Guidance.
- Strong track record of successfully representing clients in high profile FCA and qui tam cases.
Mike Vernick leads the firm's government contracts group and focuses his practice on the higher education and health care and life sciences sectors. His FCA experience extends into all aspects of higher education and United States government research funding, contracts and grants, including cost allowability, research misconduct and General Services Administration (GSA) contracts.
- Successfully defended a leading university in an FCA investigation involving multiple federal agencies and over $1 billion of funding.*
- Obtained the first reported FCA decision ruling that the Justice Department may not sue state universities.*
- Successfully resolved a bid rigging FCA case alleging that a leading NGO had overcharged the U.S. government for goods procured during the Syrian refugee crisis.*
- Handled the first reported FCA settlement involving undisclosed researcher ties to China.*
- Handled all cost accounting compliance aspects of a federal practice reorganization of a large government contractor.*
Public Service and Affiliations