- Successfully handled many of the most significant False Claims Act (FCA) and qui tam cases involving federal research, foreign influence and Uniform Guidance compliance.
- Advises government contractors on cost accounting matters, handles all types of government contract disputes, and has worked on multiple complex corporate transactions in the government contracts space.
Mike leads the firm's government contracts group and focuses his practice on the higher education and health care and life sciences sectors. His FCA experience extends into all aspects of government contracting, higher education and research funding, including cost allowability, Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) compliance, General Services Administration (GSA) contracts, defective products and bid rigging. Mike also works extensively with universities and academic medical centers on scientific compliance, including financial conflicts of interest, research misconduct and research involving human subjects.
- Defending one of the Nation’s preeminent research universities in a FCA investigation targeting allegations of undisclosed faculty ties to China.
- Defending one the most significant recipients of federal research funding in the U.S. in a FCA case investigating improper allocation of nonsponsored time, including grant-writing and teaching, to National Institutes of Health (NIH) awards.
- Advising a preeminent academic medical center on a comprehensive assessment of its approach to financial conflicts of interest.
- Successfully resolved in prime/subcontractor dispute related to overhead and general and administrative (G&A) rate calculation methodologies.
- Successfully defended a leading university in an FCA investigation involving multiple federal agencies and over $1 billion of funding.*
Public Service and Affiliations