Natasha G. Kohne serves as a co-leader of Akin Gump’s cybersecurity, privacy and data protection practice which was named among the top cybersecurity practices in 2017 by BTI Consulting. Ms. Kohne’s practice also focuses on investigations, litigation and international arbitration often involving complex multi-jurisdictional and international problems. Ms. Kohne has been recognized by the Daily Journal as one of California’s top women and top cyber/artificial intelligence lawyers and serves on the firm’s management committee and innovation committee.
Practice & Background
Spearheading the cybersecurity groups’ international efforts, Ms. Kohne represents clients in the U.S., the Middle East and other international markets in cybersecurity related matters, including risk assessments and the mitigation and management of cyber intrusions and related privacy and security incident response preparation. She advises on data breach investigations and enforcement, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) cybersecurity compliance, legislative and regulatory requirements and processes, privacy and data protection compliance, as well as related litigation. Ms. Kohne is heavily involved in U.S., international and cross-border litigation, arbitration and investigations across various industries including technology, financial services, investment funds, health care, energy and infrastructure. More generally, she is regularly engaged in disputes, risk management, compliance and corporate advisory work on behalf of public entities, multinational clients, high net worth individuals/family offices and private companies.
Ms. Kohne routinely serves as an international arbitrator and has extensive experience over the years in government and regulatory investigations and in complex commercial disputes before an array of courts and international tribunals in various countries in the Middle East, Europe and North America.
Furthermore, Ms. Kohne has led several reform projects for governments, including in emerging areas such as cybersecurity, privacy and data protection, asset recovery, judicial procedure and construction. She has experience in both civil law and common law jurisdictions.
Ms. Kohne is a Certified Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Her experience includes advising on:
- data breach investigations and remediation involving an energy infrastructure company in the GCC
- international criminal and civil proceedings involving cyber intrusions and intellectual property investigations and disputes in Europe, the U.S. and the GCC
- drafting privacy and cybersecurity terms and conditions on behalf of a global transportation company in connection with its proposed operation of autonomous vehicle pilot programs in the U.S.
- comprehensive M&A due diligence and risk assessments relating to privacy and cybersecurity matters in the U.S. and internationally
- cloud computing and data protection and security regulations in the U.S. and Europe and related laws concerning international data transfer matters
- cross-border investigations involving intellectual property and the internet in China, the GCC and U.S.
- risk management, corporate, dispute and compliance issues relating to a national cybersecurity center in the GCC
- privacy data laws in the healthcare industry in the U.S., Europe and the GCC
- defamation, libel and censorship disputes in the U.S. and Europe
- ICANN intellectual property and domain-name disputes involving the GCC
- investment funds litigation and arbitration, including removing and replacing a General Partner of private equity funds by Limited Partners
- international construction and real estate arbitrations concerning infrastructure projects in the GCC involving billions of dollars
- LCIA, ICC and ICDR arbitrations involving commercial disputes in the hundreds of millions of dollars
- data breach investigations and remediation involving the personal information of high-level officials
- the application of healthcare regulatory advice as it relates to mobile apps in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
Ms. Kohne is involved in numerous community and civic activities including:
- formerly serving on the Board of Directors of the American Chamber of Commerce of Abu Dhabi (AmCham)
- active involvement in US-U.A.E. Business Council efforts, including speaking and supporting seminars about US-U.A.E. business relations.
Awards & Accolades
- Named among the Daily Journal’s 2018 list of “Top Cyber/Artificial Intelligence Lawyers”
- Named among the Daily Journal’s 2017 list of “Top Women Lawyers,” which recognizes the achievements of women leading the legal community in California
- Selected as a Top Author in the Cybersecurity topic for JD Supra Readers’ Choice Awards
- Certified as a Certified Information Privacy Professional / United States (CIPP/US), International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Named as a "Rising Star" in 2014 by the U.S. Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- As noted by Chambers Global, Ms. Kohne is “well regarded for her corporate investigations expertise. She also advises on a range of data privacy and corporate cybersecurity matters” and was ranked Band 1 in 2016 in the area of Corporate Investigations – U.A.E.; she was also ranked in the area of Corporate/M&A – U.A.E. in 2014 and 2015 with clients noting that she is “great at building and cementing relationships, and very knowledgeable about Abu Dhabi and the U.A.E.”
- Recommended in The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East and Africa (2014 and 2017) for Commercial, Corporate and M&A – U.A.E. Clients say she is “highly responsive, strategic and nuanced in her thinking.”
- Moderator, “Cyber Security/Social Media and Online Legal Issues,” Legends of the Boardroom, Baltimore, MD, September 14, 2017
- Speaker, “The FCC Privacy Rules for Broadband Providers and their Impact on Premium Publishers,” hosted by Digital Content Next (DCN) Legal and Legislative Day, New York, NY, November 17, 2016
- Speaker, “Lessons Learned from Cybersecurity & Data Protection Roundtable: Role of GC,” at the RSA Abu Dhabi Conference, November 15, 2016
- Panelist, “2016 Risk Management and Regulatory Compliance Round Table on Cybersecurity and AML,” hosted by PRMIA, San Francisco, CA, October 28, 2016
- Speaker, “Trends in Consumer Class Actions: How to Avoid Becoming a Target,” Akin Gump In-House CLE Series, October 2016
- Speaker, “Cybersecurity Summit for Government Contractors: Hot Topics, Trends and Emerging Issues,” hosted by Federal Publications Seminars, McLean, VA, September 15, 2016
- Speaker, “How Legal & Risk Management Can Address Your Top Two Cyber Threats,” ACC CLE program co-hosted by Akin Gump and Jordan Lawrence, Palo Alto (July 20) and San Francisco, CA (July 21, 2016)
- Panelist, “Recent SEC Regulatory Focus – a discussion on fiduciary duty, expenses, co-investments and cybersecurity,” at Akin Gump’s Private Fund Industry Update on Changes in the Regulatory and Political Landscape, San Francisco, CA, June 29, 2016
- Speaker, “Cybersecurity: Tailoring Technology to Your Firm,” at the HFM US Hedge Fund Operational Summit, New York, NY, June 13, 2016
- Speaker, “The Role of General Counsel in Cybersecurity,” at The Oath’s GC Talk Series on Cybersecurity and the GC, Abu Dhabi, May 23, 2016
- Program Co-Chair, “EU General Data Protection Regulation: Overview of key changes and a discussion of needed preparations,” co-hosted by Akin Gump and CompTIA, April 4, 2016
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity – Protecting Investor Data,” webinar hosted by Backstop Solutions Group, January 19, 2016
- Panelist, “Tackling Cybersecurity in the Boardroom,” New York, NY, November 12, 2015
- Moderator, “Global Cybersecurity Controls and Initiatives” at the FedPub Seminar on Cybersecurity in Government Contracts Institute, November 5, 2015
- Participant, “Abu Dhabi Learning Lab: Cyber Conflict in the Gulf,” at the RSA Abu Dhabi Conference, November 3, 2015
- Panelist, “Tackling Cybersecurity,” Akin Gump’s Annual New York Private Investment Funds Conference, October 13, 2015
- Panelist, “Addressing Cyber & Other Threats: Known & Unknown,” 2015 MDMA 8th Annual Medical Technology Executive Forum, September 25, 2015
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity – What Fund Managers and Investors Need to Know,” Akin Gump Dallas Quarterly Roundtable, September 10, 2015
- Speaker; “Cybersecurity: Risks and Best Practices for Medical Device Makers,” MDMA Webcast, March 25, 2015
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity Risk Management, Due Diligence and Breach Response,” Akin Gump’s seminar on The Cybersecurity Pandemic, Los Angeles, February 19, 2015
- Moderator, “Cybersecurity Risk Management and Due Diligence,” Akin Gump’s seminar on The Cybersecurity Pandemic, New York, November 5, 2014
- Guest lecturer at the Paris-Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi and other venues on various subjects including international dispute resolution, data breach and cyber security, investment funds and risk management.