Paul Lin is a member of the firm’s corporate practice and focuses on cross-border corporate transactions, M&A/takeovers and corporate finance. He serves the role of outside general counsel for clients in coordinating general litigation, antitrust litigation, intellectual property litigation and matters in other practice areas. Mr. Lin is a member of the firm’s Audit Committee, and is the partner-in-charge of the firm’s Irvine office.
Practice & Background
Mr. Lin advises clients ranging from multinational public corporations and Chinese state-owned enterprises to medium and small privately held businesses in a broad range of industry segments, including high-tech, consumer products, infrastructure and city development, automotive, green energy and biotech.
He represents a number of the largest consumer electronics and technology companies, and digital television and monitor manufacturers in corporate transactions and intellectual property litigation matters in the United States, and various Asia-based clients in litigation matters.
Mr. Lin is a frequent speaker on cross-border M&A and has participated in forums such as the Caijing Conference in Beijing and the UCLA U.S.-China Business Law Conference in Los Angeles. He serves as a board member on the Dean’s Board of Visitors and Business Advisory Council, University of California, Irvine School of Law. Mr. Lin is also active in the Asian-American community and cross-border associations and is a member of, and serves on the Board of Directors for the Committee of 100, an international, nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization that brings a Chinese-American perspective to issues concerning Asian-Americans and U.S.-China relations.
Mr. Lin’s recent engagements include:
- represented Foxconn Technology Group in its acquisition of all the outstanding shares of SMART Technologies, a leading provider of collaboration solutions
- representation of a U.S. company, the world’s largest independent manufacturer of memory products, in an agreement with a Taiwanese public company, to acquire certain assets of the Taiwanese company in a deal valued at approximately $200 million. The U.S. company simultaneously entered into a transaction pursuant to which the acquired company will provide foundry services to the buyer for a two-year period in a deal valued at approximately $380 million
- advising a Taiwanese multinational electronics manufacturing company in its acquisition of a 90 percent interest in a well known international consumer electronics company and in certain manufacturing assets related to a television manufacturer from its parent company
- advising a Chinese company in its acquisition of a publicly listed display technology manufacturer and related tender offer
- advising a Chinese state owned enterprise and its affiliates in a proposed acquisition of a U.S. public computer accessory manufacturer
- advising a Chinese mineral resources company in project finance transactions
- advising an optical storage systems manufacturer in financing transactions
- representing a privately held California start-up tech company in connection with its issuance of $10 million of Series A Preferred Stock in a private placement to strategic investors
- representing a privately held global internet consumer applications company in connection with its issuance of Series C Preferred Stock in a private placement to a flash memory affiliate of an independent world leader in memory products
- representing the maker of America’s number one brand of LCD HDTVs in connection with a putative nationwide class action regarding allegedly defective component parts in plasma and LCD TVs manufactured since 2003
- representing a high-definition television company in federal antitrust and California state law litigation filed against a Japanese communication equipment manufacturer in California federal court
- obtaining a favorable ruling for an electronics technology manufacturer and a digital television and monitor manufacturer in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- representing an electronics manufacturer in a patent infringement dispute with a computer manufacturer involving patents related to various aspects of television technology
- representing respondent electronics manufacturer in an ITC Section 337 proceeding initiated by another electronics manufacturer involving four United States patents
- representing one of the largest U.S. electronics technology manufacturers and a digital television and monitor manufacturer in a patent infringement action related to systems and methods of encoding and decoding signals representative of moving images
- representing an electronics technology manufacturer against a global consumer electronics company in a patent dispute that included their digital television technology patents
- representing an electronics technology manufacturer in a patent infringement dispute with a global consumer electronics company involving 21 patents related to various aspects of television technology
- representing an electronics technology manufacturer in a patent infringement action relating to Quadrature Amplitude Modulation and Forward Error Correction techniques for high definition television broadcasting.
Awards & Accolades
Daily Journal “20 Under 40” lawyers in California in 2007.