Prakash H. Mehta is the co-leader of the firm’s investment management practice group and a member of the firm’s management committee. He is also the leader of the India practice.
Practice & Background
Mr. Mehta provides problem solving and strategic advice and counseling to leading private equity and hedge fund sponsors, investment banks, institutional investors including endowments, sovereign wealth funds, multilateral organizations and multinational groups, entrepreneurs, foreign government owned entities, large domestic and international public and private entities involved in high-profile domestic and international business transactions and litigations.
Mr. Mehta regularly advises some of the more prominent private investment fund sponsors and investment banks on all aspects of their business, from capital raising and fund formation to implementation of their business models via complex transactions. Mr. Mehta also advises clients on manager-level transactions such as seed investments in fund managers, the creation of asset managers through joint ventures, and spin-outs of existing asset management teams (including proprietary trading desks). Mr. Mehta’s representation of a broad range of asset managers and institutional investors allows him to keep abreast of emerging trends in the private equity, hedge fund and real estate industries. This knowledge and experience is particularly valuable as convergence across asset classes continues to play out in the marketplace.
Mr. Mehta’s practice also includes advising clients on investment and financing transactions, with particular emphasis on complex international transactions. Mr. Mehta evaluates, structures and negotiates private equity-style investments (minority and control), exit transactions (strategic sale, recapitalization, IPO) and other M&A transactions (joint ventures, stock and asset sales). He provides ongoing counseling on investor and portfolio company matters and serves as corporate counsel to public and private portfolio companies.
More recently, Mr. Mehta’s practice has included significant involvement in investigations and dispute resolution through litigation and arbitration within and outside of the funds industry. He has represented limited partner advisory boards with respect to “zombie fund” manager disputes and worked extensively on “funds divorce” matters involving fund principals and investors. Mr. Mehta has conducted internal investigations on behalf of emerging market companies and has handled numerous World Bank related investigations. Mr. Mehta has also counseled clients on and addressed various groups concerning cybersecurity related compliance and risk management.
Mr. Mehta received his J.D. magna cum laude in 1994 from the Georgetown University Law Center, where he served as associate editor of The Georgetown Law Journal. He received his B.S.F.S. summa cum laude in 1991 from Georgetown University. Mr. Mehta also maintains an office in Washington, D.C.z
Mr. Mehta is involved in numerous community, civic and charitable activities. Among others, he is an advisory council member for Columbia University’s Committee for Global Thought and an advisory board member of the Emerging Markets Private Equity Association.
Awards & Accolades
Mr. Mehta has been recognized for his accomplishments in the investment management industry including:
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2008 through 2015)
- The National Law Journal as one of the 50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America
- Institutional Investor as one of 10 Rising Stars of Private Equity and M&A Law
The Who’s Who Legal 100: Private Funds, 2014 and 2015.
- Participated in “Managed Accounts: Hot Topics and Pitfalls” webinar hosted by The Regulatory Fundamentals Group LLC
- Regular panelist at the Emerging Market Private Equity Forum
- Moderated Cybersecurity Policy Implications at “The Cybersecurity Pandemic” in New York, NY
- Participated as a speaker at the United Nations High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development
- Participated in Practising Law Institute’s Thirteenth Annual Private Equity Forum, in New York, NY
- Spoke at the 14th Annual Global Private Equity Conference at the Fairmont in Washington, D.C.
- Chaired session titled “Comparative roles of private equity, infrastructure funds, SWFs, commercial banks, ECAs, and multilaterals in project finance today”
- Spoke on “Optimizing Market Trends and Opportunities After the Impact of the Global Financial Markets Crisis” at the Sixth Annual Investorside Research Conference at the Bloomberg Conference Center.