Richard Allin. Frank has extensive real estate experience from both his law firm practice and his “in-house” corporate practice.
Practice & Background
Mr. Frank’s real estate experience includes representing purchasers, sellers, lenders, landlords and tenants in a wide variety of transactions, both in Texas and across the country, involving the purchase, sale, financing, refinancing, foreclosure, debt restructuring, management and leasing of restaurants, hotels, shopping centers, office buildings, multifamily projects, industrial properties, manufacturing facilities and raw land.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Frank served more than eight years as the senior vice president, legal of a major publicly-traded retailer and franchisor with more than 9,100 store locations in the United States and 24 foreign countries, as well as more than six years as the general counsel of a privately held international restaurant company and franchisor with more than 750 restaurant locations in the United States and 16 foreign countries. In each of these positions, Mr. Frank advised the senior management and boards of his clients and gained significant experience in handling the legal aspects of numerous corporate, franchise, marketing, distribution, intellectual property, litigation, technology, labor and employment matters.
Mr. Frank is a member of the Dallas Bar Association.
Mr. Frank’s engagements include the representation of:
- a real estate investor group in connection with its formation of 17 separate single-purpose entities and acquisition and securitized financing of 17 apartment complexes located throughout the southwestern United States, in transactions having an aggregate value in excess of $100 million and involving more than 4,000 apartment units
- a group of banks and other financial institutions in negotiating and documenting a $250 million credit facility secured by various assets, including the fee and ground leasehold interests in four luxury hotels and one office building located in New York, Georgia, Illinois and Massachusetts
- a group of banks and other financial institutions in negotiating and documenting a $100 million credit facility with a hotel owner and operator secured by various real estate assets, including 14 hotels located in Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Tennessee
- an institutional lender in connection with a $95 million revolving credit facility to a national home builder secured by, among other things, the borrower’s inventory of raw land, improved residential lots and other real estate assets in various stages of development
- an institutional lender in its sealed-bid auction of a multi-million dollar portfolio of real estate loans
- a national transit company in connection with its leveraged lease of over 400 buses and related equipment having an aggregate value of approximately $100 million
- a wholesale distributor of pharmaceuticals and related products in connection with the sale of more than $100 million in trade receivables and the sale-lease back of its warehouse and distribution facilities located in Texas and Ohio
- an investor group in connection with the acquisition and $40 million financing of a historic hotel located in Boston, Massachusetts
- an investor group in its acquisition and $30 million financing of five hotels and inns in Monterey and Laguna Beach, California
- a borrower in negotiating and documenting a $24 million acquisition and renovation loan secured by three urban and resort hotels located in Wisconsin
- the Mexican subsidiary of a Japanese electronics manufacturer in connection with its construction contract with a Mexican developer for the construction of a manufacturing facility in Mexico
- a telecommunications company in connection with its lease of a 100,000+ square-foot customer service call center in Dallas, Texas
- a real estate investor group in connection with its $48.5 millionloan to an investment partnership secured by resort hotels, a country club, a golf course, a marina and related real estate assets located in Boca Raton, Florida
- an investor in connection with its purchase of a $26.7 millionloan secured by industrial properties located in Alabama, Kansas, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Texas and Ontario, Canada
- an institutional lender in connection with a $25 million credit facility secured by, among other things, a refinery and related real estate assets located in New Mexico
- a publicly traded retailer in the $50 million acquisition of a multiunit retailer located in the United Kingdom
- a publicly traded retailer in connection with its $1.1 billion corporate credit facility and senior subordinated notes
- a video content aggregator in various video-on-demand distribution agreements with several regional telephone system operating companies
- an international franchisor in connection with its investigation and contractual negotiations relating to a joint venture transaction in the People’s Republic of China
- a publicly traded retailer in its multi million-dollar reciprocal marketing and trademark licensing agreement with a leading Internet service provider
- an international restaurant company in connection with its successful reorganization under
chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code
- an international restaurant franchisor in connection with its domestic and international franchising program, including new franchise development agreements in Jordan and Egypt
- a publicly traded retailer with more than $6 billion in annual revenues in connection with its initial public offering and subsequent split-off from its publicly-traded parent corporation
- a publicly traded retailer in its sale of a subsidiary with more than 350 retail store locations located throughout the United States for $115 million
- a publicly traded retailer in multiple acquisition, disposition and seller-financing transactions involving hundreds of store locations throughout the United States with an aggregate total value in excess of $200 million
- a publicly traded retailer in connection with a strategic alliance agreement involving the operation of branded “store-in-store” electronics retail areas in its stores by another publicly traded retailer.