Ryan Thompson is a proven leader and strategist with a diverse background and deep experience in politics, business and government. Mr. Thompson currently serves as Senior Policy Advisor at Akin Gump having spent 10 years working in the U.S. Senate after graduating from The University of Texas at Austin. His practice is primarily focused on providing strategic counsel on advocacy, legislative affairs and crisis management matters.
While working in the U.S. Senate, Mr. Thompson served as press secretary and ultimately chief of staff for U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-OK). As chief of staff, he managed a team of 50 individuals and worked closely with the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee and the Senate Armed Services Committee on public policy matters of national interest. As press secretary, he directed the national communications strategy and provided daily strategic counsel on the implication of current events, public policy and legislation. After leaving Capitol Hill, Mr. Thompson served as Senior Vice President at a global public relations firm where he provided advocacy and developed communications campaigns for clients in Washington, DC.
Practice & Background
Mr. Thompson’s in-depth experience includes providing C-suite communications and political counsel on various mergers and acquisitions, lobbying and communications campaigns. His experience is focused in the following sectors:
- Energy: Advising clients across a broad range of the energy spectrum and representing major integrated oil and gas companies as well as upstream independent E&P companies before the U.S. Congress, the Department of the Interior and the Bureau of Land Management. His practice is focused on federal issues affecting the energy sector including: hydraulic fracturing, federal lands access, water use issues, greenhouse gas legislative proposals, as well as, other public policy and regulatory issues impacting the energy space.
- Transportation: Advising clients on Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)/drone regulations, both commercial and general aviation issues and M&A transactions, and various areas of marine (shipping and ports) and surface transportation (highways and rail) working with FAA, DOT, FRA and the U.S. Congress.
- Infrastructure: Advising clients on general federal and state infrastructure projects, public-private-partnerships primarily, but not limited to, aviation, power transmission and other midstream energy projects.
- Private Equity: Advising some of the world's largest private equity firms executing transaction support in all of the above areas for political risk evaluation, analysis and mitigation as well as strategic communications.
While he was a student at The University of Texas at Austin, Mr. Thompson began his political career working in the campaign finance office of Sen. John Cornyn’s (R-TX) first Senate campaign. He is also a founding member of the Article One Society of the National Republican Senatorial Committee for the 2010 campaign cycle.
- Member of the national Board of Directors of the Close Up Foundation
- Founding member of the Article One Society of the National Republican Senatorial Committee
- Panelist, “The Global Energy Industry: 2015 Mid-Year Energy Briefing”, Washington, DC (July 29, 2015)