Scott L. Alberino focuses on bankruptcy law and corporate restructurings, with an emphasis on official and unofficial creditors’ committees, bondholder committees and bank steering groups in large, complex cases, both out of court and in chapter 11.
Practice & Background
Mr. Alberino represents bondholders, noteholders, institutional investors, hedge funds and other interested parties. He has also advised debtors in possession, bank group agents, postpetition lenders and acquirers of distressed assets. His restructuring matters encompass a variety of industries and involve multijurisdictional and cross-border matters. Mr. Alberino is known as a skilled tactician and strategist and has guided clients through numerous in-court and out-of-court restructurings.
Mr. Alberino is a frequent lecturer at leading high-yield conferences and restructuring seminars. Mr. Alberino is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Turnaround Management Association.
Mr. Alberino served as managing editor of the Emory International Law Review. After receiving his degree, he clerked for the Honorable C. Ray Mullins, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Georgia.
Mr. Alberino’s recent engagements include:
- Trident Resources Corporation (as chapter 11 debtors in possession)
- Inner City Media Corporation (as chapter 11 debtors in possession)
- Atari, Inc, (as chapter 11 debtors in possession)
- LCI Holdings, Inc. (counsel to the steering committee of secured lenders, purchaser and DIP lenders)
- Ormet Corporation (counsel to the largest secured creditor, purchaser and DIP lenders)
- Perkins & Marie Callendar LLC (counsel to the largest holder of secured and unsecured notes)
- Washington Mutual, Inc. (counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors)
- Refco, Inc. (counsel to significant creditor)
- Indianapolis Downs LLC (counsel to an ad hoc committee of second-lien noteholders)
- Majestic Star Casinos LLC (counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors)
- Hawkeye Renewables LLC (counsel to the agent and steering committee of first-lien lenders)
- Southwest Georgia Ethanol LLC (counsel to the agent and steering committee of first-lien lenders)
- CDX Gas LLC (counsel to the agent and steering committee of second-lien lenders)
- Atlantic Express Transportation Corporation (counsel to secured noteholders in an out-of-court restructuring)
- IdleAire Technologies (counsel to ad hoc secured noteholders committee, purchaser and DIP lenders)
- Elyria Foundry Holdings LLC (counsel to secured noteholders in an out of court restructuring)
- MasterCraft Boat Company LLC (counsel to secured noteholders in an out-of-court restructuring)
- Portola Packaging Inc. (counsel to the DIP Lender and secured noteholders).
Awards & Accolades
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer (2014-2016)
- Best Lawyers in America (2015 and 2018) for bankruptcy and creditor debtor rights / insolvency and reorganization law
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business — bankruptcy/restructuring
- The Legal 500 US recommends Scott Alberino in Finance – Corporate Restructuring (including bankruptcy) (2016-2017).