- Helps troubled companies and their investors in reorganizations.
- A go-to lawyer for Section 363 sales and other distressed merger and acquisition transactions.
- Frequently represents companies following their emergence from Chapter 11.
Stephen Kuhn has nearly three decades’ experience in helping troubled companies and their investors reorganize, recapitalize, and monetize their assets and holdings.
Stephen advised creditors’ committees, informal creditor groups and asset purchasers in the restructurings of:
- The Weinstein Company, in which Akin Gump advised Lantern Entertainment LLC as purchaser of substantially all of the assets of the company through the bankruptcy process for $289 million, following the negotiation of a $21 million reduction in purchase price. This deal was completed on a very fast timeline against the backdrop of intense media scrutiny.
- Rex Energy Corporation, in which Akin Gump represented an ad hoc group of second lien noteholders in the Chapter 11 restructuring of approximately $930 million in debt. This group was critical in obtaining a successful bid for substantially all of Rex’s assets from PennEnergy Resources for more than $600 million through a competitive bidding process.
- Rand Logistics Inc., where, following months of planning and negotiations, Rand, a leading provider of bulk-freight shipping services throughout the Great Lakes region, completed its restructuring in just 31 days and emerged before the start of the spring sailing season. First lien and unsecured claims were paid in full, and Rand’s second lien indebtedness was fully equitized.
- Nortel Networks, which featured Section 363 sales totaling more than $7.5 billion in proceeds, including the sale of a patent portfolio for