Stephen M. Baldini is head of the firm’s litigation practice.
Practice & Background
Mr. Baldini focuses on commercial litigation and arbitration with a concentration in private equity and hedge fund matters including regulatory and compliance issues, complex bankruptcy litigation, securities litigation, international arbitration, partnership and investor disputes and commercial corporate disputes.
Mr. Baldini received his B.A. from Wesleyan University in 1987 and his J.D. in 1990 from the Georgetown University Law Center, where he was an editor of the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics.
Mr. Baldini is a member of Akin Gump’s compensation committee.
Mr. Baldini’s recent representations include:
- acting as lead trial lawyer for a commercial logistics provider in an international arbitration proceeding in a significant dispute with largest supplier on fraud and breach-of-contract claims.
- acting as lead trial lawyer on a successful trial victory and appeal that allowed Granite Broadcasting to emerge from bankruptcy
- serving as counsel to a private equity fund in a corporate governance dispute related to an investment in a commercial satellite company, resulting in a successful exit by the fund from the company
- serving as counsel to fund investors in a dispute over board control of an education-related business, resulting in a successful buyout of investors
- serving as counsel to alternative energy company in securities and contract dispute related to purchase of projects in Latin America
- serving as counsel to officers in a licensing company in securities and derivative lawsuits related to accounting restatements
- serving as counsel to buyers in the bankruptcy proceedings of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Daily News and the web site com., resulting in a purchase by clients of an interest in the debtors
- serving as counsel to former directors of a commercial logistics provider in claims brought by a trustee related to fiduciary duties
- serving as counsel to fund investors in federal and state securities and derivative actions related to mining operations resulting in a successful dismissal of the action against clients
- serving as counsel to owners of LED lighting venture in securities and breach of contract dispute
- serving as counsel to owners of a commercial logistics provider in fraud and fiduciary duty claims brought by the former CEO
- serving as counsel to owners of franchisor in federal securities claims against former owners
- serving as counsel to board of directors of offshore drilling company in dispute with shareholders related to company’s bankruptcy proceeding
- acting as counsel to fund managers in dispute related to the departure of former partners
- acting as counsel to solar energy provider in international arbitration contract dispute related to stock purchase agreement
- acting as counsel to fund owners of biodiesel fuel company in international arbitration dispute related to projects in South America
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States 2018 as a leader in the category of Dispute Resolution – Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense – Advice to Individuals.
- Panelist, “The Impact of Economic Nationalism on International Trade, Investment and M&A” Seminar, London, U.K., November 7, 2017