Steven Franklin is an associate in Akin Gump's Hong Kong office.
Practice & Background
Steven Franklin is a member of the corporate practice, focusing on mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions and the corporate aspects of domestic and cross-border financial restructurings. Mr. Franklin’s experience includes advising hedge, private equity and other investment funds on structuring, acquiring and disposing of their investments as well as their ongoing corporate governance.
During his career, Mr. Franklin was seconded to the Financial Markets and Treasury Services legal team of the Bank of New York Mellon, and Pershing Securities Limited, a subsidiary of the Bank of New York Mellon providing global clearing and settlement services.
Mr. Franklin’s experience includes:
- representing a global hedge fund on distressed special situations, credit and equity investments, and M&A, in India
- representing a global hedge fund on FCCBs and equity investments in technology companies in India
- representing investors and corporates on shareholder activism
- advising certain of the mezzanine lenders in connection with the debt for equity restructuring, £400 million high yield bond issuance and ongoing corporate governance of the Findus Group, a European frozen food manufacturer
- advising a New York-based venture capital firm on its preferred equity financing in a U.K. biosciences company
- representing funds on the acquisition and divestiture of portfolio companies
- advising OM Asset Management plc on its initial public offering on the New York stock exchange
- advising Värde Partners and D.E. Shaw, U.S.-based hedge funds, on the acquisition of one of the U.K.'s largest care businesses, European Care Group
- advising the administrators of Comet Group Limited
- advising funds on complicated cross-border joint ventures.