Practice & Background
Tom Bannister’s practice focuses on cross-border financial restructurings and workouts, representing a broad range of institutional and distressed investors.
Mr. Bannister is ranked as a recognized lawyer in Chambers UK, Chambers Global and Legal 500. He was called to the bar in 1993 and became a solicitor in 2005.
Mr. Bannister’s recent engagements include:
- advising the noteholders on the restructuring of Royal Imtech N.V., a listed Dutch technical services provider
- advising the private placement noteholders on the financial restructuring of Johnston Press, a community media group with operations in the U.K. and Ireland
- advising the noteholders in the restructuring and administration of Hampson Industries, a listed aerospace engineering business
- advising the noteholders on the €1.2 billion financial restructuring of the Quinn Group, one of Ireland’s largest companies
- advising the private placement noteholders on the financial restructuring of the only two remaining divisions of Connaught plc, the U.K.’s leading integrated service provider
- representing the noteholders in the successful restructuring of the senior debt of Waterford Wedgwood, an Irish household and leisure products group
- advising the mezzanine lenders on the financial restructuring of 20:20 Mobile, a U.K.-based mobile phone components supplier
- advising a group of noteholders of MJ Maillis, a Greek packaging company, on the restructuring of its senior debt
- advising the noteholders on the restructuring of senior notes of two major U.K. homebuilders
- advising the mezzanine syndicate on the restructuring of Level One, a German real estate investment vehicle
- advising the ad hoc committee of bondholders on the restructuring and the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing of Sea Containers Ltd.
- representing a group of holders of senior guaranteed notes issued by Pendragon, a U.K.-based automobile distributor in debt restructuring negotiations
- representing an ad hoc committee of mezzanine noteholders in the financial restructuring of Focus DIY, a UK DIY retailer
- advising an informal group of mezzanine lenders in the financial restructuring of Nybron, Europe’s leading wood flooring company
- advising the noteholders in the financial restructuring of IWP International plc, an Irish consumer products company
- advising the senior secured noteholders of Cordiant Communications Group plc, a worldwide advertising agency, in connection with a debt restructuring and subsequent sale of the senior debt to a potential acquirer of the business
- advising the noteholders and other creditors in connection with the restructuring of Jarvis plc, the U.K.-based construction and services group
- advising the noteholders of Leeds United Football Club in relation to the restructuring of notes secured against the stadium
- advising the ad hoc bondholder committee of Marconi Corporation plc in relation to a financial restructuring involving schemes of arrangement in the U.K. and a Section 304 proceeding in the U.S.
- advising the noteholders in the restructuring and subsequent re-financing of senior debt of an Irish household and leisure products group
- advising the noteholders on proposed restructurings and subsequent insolvencies of Albert Fisher Group plc and Mayflower Corporation plc
- advising the senior lenders of Gate Gourmet on the restructuring of the international airline catering group.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers UK, Leaders in Their Field, Restructuring and Insolvency
- Chambers Global, Restructuring and Insolvency
- Legal 500, Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Best Lawyers UK, Insolvency & Restructuring Law
- Expert Guides: Guide to the World’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers, “Leading Expert” in the United Kingdom