Practice & Background
Vance Chapman focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions and equity offerings and investments. He also has considerable experience in financial restructuring.
Mr. Chapman has advised hedge funds, private equity funds and other investors in numerous U.K. and cross-border investments, disposals and acquisitions. He is listed as an expert for Investment Funds in Legal Experts. He is also recognized in the Legal 500 and IFLR 1000.
- advised the mezzanine consortium headed by Apollo, Cerberus, Park Square Capital and Goldman Sachs in the £2.6 billion restructuring of Britain’s largest betting and gaming group, the Gala Coral group, and the swap of £570 million mezzanine debt for 100 percent equity of Gala Coral
- advised Tisbury Capital (subsequently incorporated into GLG) in the restructuring of the capital structure of SpinVox Ltd and the subsequent sale of SpinVox to Nuance Communications Inc.
- advised the PIK debt consortium headed by Apollo, Avenue, Merrill Lynch, Cyrus Capital, Bluebay, Citibank and Istithmar on the restructuring of the EMPG educational publishing business and the acquisition of an interest in the EMPG international publishing business
- advising Grandtop International Holdings Limited, the offeror, on the acquisition by way of public takeover of the U.K.-based Birmingham City Football Club
- advised a global alternative investment firm in respect of the £600 million sale of a gas-fired power station development project, Severn Power
- advised a privately owned hedge fund sponsor in the sale of its U.K. investment management business to U.K. management, specifically regarding complex cross-border and regulatory aspects relating to the division of a global investment management business
- advised a privately owned hedge fund manager in its sale of its interest in the former operator of luxury health and fitness clubs, Holmes Place, by way of a tender offer
- advised a group of venture capital funds on a private placement by Amarin Corporation PLC, an English public company listed on NASDAQ; the $70 million (€47.2 million) deal is believed to be the largest private placement in public equity in the past two years for any publicly listed biotech company in the world
- advised a substantial investor in its high-profile investment in distressed securities of a major Philippine government-backed infrastructure project
- advised Gottex Capital on the sale of a wind farm project to Vattenfall, a Swedish energy company
- advised First Communications Inc. in its $50 million admission to AIM with a connected $40 million issue of preferred stock (to a group of private equity investors) and roll-up acquisitions of First Communications LLC and Xtension Services Inc.
- advised on the restructuring of Marconi Corporation plc and Marconi plc through connected Section 425 Companies Act Schemes of Arrangement
- advised on the sale of the Queens Moat Houses European Hotel group to Whitehall, the Goldman Sachs holding property fund
- advised on the acquisition of the Cenargo ferry business by Norse Merchant Group Limited, a holding vehicle owned by various U.S. and U.K. funds
- advised on the restructuring of Energis plc through a Section 425 Companies Act scheme of arrangement and an associated issue of Global Depository Receipts
- advised International Metal Enterprises Inc. in the first IPO of a US SPAC (special purpose acquisition company) on AIM
- advised CRT Capital LLC and KBC Peel Hunt in the $180 million IPO on AIM of Viceroy Acquisition Corp.
- advised Deutsche Bank in the $100 million IPO on AIM of India Hospitality Corp.
- advised nomads, underwriters and companies on numerous AIM and main market IPOs and secondary offerings
- advised on various football club takeovers and restructurings
- advised Wayzata Partners in the £100 million disposal of Brunner Mond plc
- advised on a pre-IPO investment in Milestone Group plc and its subsequent admission to AIM
- advised on numerous company and business sales and acquisitions for various clients
- providing regular advice to financial institutions and funds on arbitrage, shareholder activism, regulatory and compliance issues.
Awards & Accolades
- Legal 500 UK, Corporate M&A and Private Equity
- IFLR 1000, Investment Funds: Hedge Funds
- Legal Experts, Investment Funds.