Robert Shearer is a partner in the firm’s global energy and transactions practice.
Practice & Background
Mr. Shearer concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and capital markets transactions for energy, oil field services, manufacturing and technology clients.
Mr. Shearer received his B.B.A., with high honors, in management and international business from The University of Texas in 1991 and his J.D., magna cum laude, in 1994 from the University of Houston Law Center, where he served as the Editor in Chief of the Houston Law Review. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Mr. Shearer has handled a significant number of M&A transactions for energy, manufacturing and technology companies, including advising:
- a leading oilfield services company in the $430 million acquisition of the U.S. pressure pumping and pump-down perforating business of another multinational oil field services company
- the country’s largest retail electricity provider in the acquisition of an energy-efficient solutions company
- the country’s largest retail electricity provider in the acquisition of a Texas-based retail electricity provider for $270 million plus working capital
- a specialized construction services provider in the $350 million acquisition of an energy infrastructure services provider
- a leading oil field services company in multiple acquisitions of private companies
- a large software company in multiple global strategic outsourcing transactions
- the seller in the $350 million sale of an oil and gas exploration and production (E&P) company
- the seller in the $270 million sale of an oil and gas E&P company
- the seller in the $205 million sale of a paper mill in Quebec
- the debtor in implementing strategy for disposition of more than $5 billion in assets
- the purchaser in the $1.6 billion acquisition of 18 power plants in New England
- the purchaser in the $105 million management-led leveraged buyout of an oil and gas E&P company
- the seller in the sale of a cogeneration facility in Syracuse, New York
Capital Markets and Securities
Mr. Shearer has handled initial public offerings, follow-on offerings, 144A offerings, tender offers and private placements, including advising:
- a public E&P company in its $188 million registered public offering of units
- a public E&P company in its $250 million 144A offering of senior notes
- a public E&P company in its $103 million registered public offering of units
- the shareholder in a $3 billion carve-out initial public offering of insurance businesses
- a construction services company in a $270 million 144A offering of convertible subordinated debentures
- a Mexican steel company in an exchange offer and consent solicitation for a $300 million 144A offering of notes
- an oil and gas E&P company in its IPO and listing on the New York Stock Exchange
- a financial services company in the public offering of common stock
- a European-based pharmaceutical company in a $115 million 144A offering of senior subordinated notes
- an Irish company in its $50 million equity investment in a U.S. public company
- numerous public companies in the preparation of shelf registration statements, proxy statements, 10- Ks, 10-Qs and filings under Section 16 of the Exchange Act
*The selected list of transactions includes deals that were completed prior to Mr. Shearer’s employment with Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP.
- President, The Woodlands Men’s Lacrosse Club, Inc.
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2016 to 2018)