Wynn H. Segall’s practice focuses on economic sanctions, export controls, antibribery and other foreign policy, national security and economic policy-based trade and investment controls.
Practice & Background
Mr. Segall has over 25 years of experience working with leading companies in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, agriculture, chemicals, construction, defense, education and research institutions, energy, engineering, entertainment, financial services, health care and medical products, investment funds, private equity and venture capital, Internet technology, logistics, telecommunications and policy think tanks.
Mr. Segall assists companies with the development and implementation of comprehensive international trade compliance programs to address the full range of classification, licensing, enforcement and transactional concerns arising under the export control, sanctions and antibribery laws of the United States and other countries. These laws include the trade control regimes administered by the U.S. departments of Commerce (Export Administration Regulation or EAR), State (International Traffic in Arms Regulations or ITAR) and Treasury (Office of Foreign Asset Controls or OFAC), nuclear export controls administered by the U.S. Department of Energy and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and antiboycott regulations administered by the U.S. departments of Commerce and Treasury. Mr. Segall also assists clients with development and implementation of effective compliance programs, internal investigations and related enforcement concerns associated with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA) and equivalent antibribery regimes of other countries. In addition, he assists clients with concerns regarding U.S. national security-based foreign investment restrictions administered by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). His experience includes extensive work on corporate transactions, provision of strategic business risk advisory counseling to U.S. and non-U.S. based companies and sovereign advisory services.
Mr. Segall is a member of the American Bar Association, International Section. He is widely published and a frequent speaker on export controls, economic sanctions, the FCPA and other antibribery laws, and related corporate governance concerns.
Mr. Segall is a member of the OFAC Practitioners’ Group and the ABA Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee. He provides pro bono services to a number of non-profit Washington, D.C. policy think tanks and serves as a member of the Advisory Board of the Center for Democracy in the Americas.
Awards and Accolades
- 2014 Honoree of the Center for Democracy in the Americas
- Who’s Who in American Law
- The Legal 500 (International Trade)
- Speaker, “EU Sanctions Developments,” Akin Gump’s Seminar on International Sanctions and Anti-Bribery Laws, Moscow, Russia, March 1, 2018
- Speaker, International Trade and Compliance Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands, September 19, 2017
- Speaker, "The Global Energy Industry: A Look to the Year Ahead in 2016," Webinar, January 14, 2016
- Speaker, “Policy, Politics and Proliferation: Planning for the P5+1 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action Regarding Iran,” Webinar, April 21, 2015
- Speaker, “The Global Energy Industry: 2014 Year-End Energy Briefing,” December 2014
- Panelist, “Immediately Responding to Overnight Changes to Economic Sanction Regimes,” C5’s Economic Sanctions and Financial Crime Forum for Financial and Insurance Industries conference, London, UK, October 2014
- Anticorruption and the FCPA—What Should Your Fund’s Policy Look Like,” Hedge Fund Compliance Master Class, New York, NY (2014)
- “Navigating Foreign Anticorruption,” an Akin Gump CLE for In-House Counsel, New York, NY (2011)
- “Transatlantic Risk: FCPA and Economic Sanctions Enforcement – from Prevention to Crisis Management,” American-German Chamber of Commerce, Munich, Germany (2011)
- “Obtaining Nuclear Licenses and Complying with Nuclear Export Controls,” ACI's Nuclear Export Controls conference, Washington, DC (2010).