- Focuses his practice on federal and state appellate litigation.
- Has particular experience relating to administrative and constitutional law, financial restructuring, intellectual property, Native American tribes and health care.
Julius Chen represents clients at all stages of appellate litigation. He is the principal drafter of dozens of brief filed in the U.S. Supreme Court and the federal courts of appeals, and he has argued cases in the 6th, 9th, D.C., and Federal Circuits. He has also counseled clients on numerous briefs filed in trial courts nationwide.
- Representing FirstEnergy Corp. and affiliates in 6th Circuit bankruptcy appeals involving the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Successfully defended judgment and opposed petition for certiorari in a restructuring proceeding involving bankruptcy claims worth more than $500 million dollars.
- Drafted successful Federal Circuit briefs on patentability, claim construction, invalidity, and ongoing royalty issues.
- Successfully briefed and argued 9th Circuit appeal defending the Environmental Protection Agency’s final rule on behalf of a coalition of tribes and stakeholders.
- Successfully briefed 9th Circuit appeal arising out of a constitutional challenge to the Indian Child Welfare Act.
Public Service and Affiliations