Conditions of Use of Akin Gump Website
1. Akin Gump. Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, operates as a limited liability partnership under the laws and regulations of numerous jurisdictions both inside and outside the United States. For the purposes of these Conditions of Use of Akin Gump Website, “Akin Gump” means Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld and Akin Gump LLP, a limited liability partnership under the laws of New York and operating in the United Kingdom.
2. These terms applicable to all use. Any use by you of this website must be in accord with the terms and conditions stated here.
3. No lawyer-client relationship created. Your use of this website does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Akin Gump or any Akin Gump lawyer. Such a lawyer-client relationship is created only by an express agreement with an Akin Gump lawyer that is confirmed in writing by the firm.
Unless you are already a client of Akin Gump, no communication with Akin Gump or any Akin Gump lawyer that is made by use of this website, or information from it, is a confidential communication. Akin Gump is not required to respond to or to maintain any such communication.
4. No legal advice. This website may contain general information about legal issues. The website does not contain legal advice to any person.
5. Copyright. Akin Gump claims copyright in all materials present on this website.
6. No warranty. Materials on this website are provided “as is” and without warranty of any kind, including without limitation warranties of merchantability, fitness for any purpose, or noninfringement.
7. Links to other sites. If you use any link on this site to a site of any person other than Akin Gump you will leave the Akin Gump website. Akin Gump provides such links for convenience only, and Akin Gump is not responsible for the content of, and does not approve or recommend, any linked site.
8. Use of “cookies.” This website uses “cookies” to facilitate the site user’s use of the site. These are “session cookies” and are erased when you close your browser (unless the user clicks the “remember me” box so that the website will remember the user on a later occasion). Akin Gump uses Google Analytics, which also sets cookies to gather information about how our site is used. We do not receive information about individual site users from Google Analytics. Google advises that Google Analytics cookies “do not collect personal data about website visitors.” https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/
9. Disclaimer. The views expressed in the materials on this website are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the views of Akin Gump or its clients.
10. London Office
Insurance. Akin Gump LLP’s professional indemnity insurer is Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe Ltd, 3rd Floor, Two Minster Court, Mincing Lane, London, EC3R 7YE. The territorial coverage will extend to all acts or omissions arising from the provision of legal services by Akin Gump LLP wherever in the world they occur.
Complaints. Akin Gump LLP is committed to providing an excellent quality of service to its clients. However, should you wish to raise any concerns with us, or to complain (including about your bill), in the first instance please contact the partner responsible for your matter. If you would like to make a formal complaint, please ask for a copy of our complaints procedure.
We hope that the matter can be resolved to your satisfaction, but, if it is not, you may be able to refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman for England and Wales. Any complaint to the Legal Ombudsman must generally be made within twelve months of our final response letter to you and within six years from the date when the problem first occurred, or within three years from when you first became aware of the problem.
Information about this service, including the time limits for bringing a complaint, can be found at www.legalombudsman.org.uk. The contact details for the Legal Ombudsman are:
- telephone from within the UK: 0300 555 0333
- telephone from overseas: +44 (0)121 245 3050
- The Legal Ombudsman
PO Box 6806
If your complaint concerns your bill, you may also be able to apply to court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. However, the Legal Ombudsman may not consider a complaint about a bill if you have applied to court for an assessment of your bill. If all or part of a bill remains unpaid, we may be entitled to charge interest.
Financial Services Regulation. Akin Gump LLP is not authorized by the UK Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”). However, Akin Gump LLP is included on the Register maintained by the FCA so that it can carry on insurance mediation activity, which is broadly the advising on, selling and administration of insurance contracts. This part of our business, including arrangements for complaints or redress if something goes wrong, is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. The register can be accessed via the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register.
Akin Gump LLP Modern Slavery Statement. Click here to read the statement.
Information according to Section 5 of the German Telemedia Act (“TMG”), Copyright etc.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP (Frankfurt Office)
20th Floor, Opernturm
D 60306 Frankfurt/Main
Authorized representatives: Dr. Christian Halàsz and Dr Axel Vogelmann (resident partners in the Frankfurt Office).
More information on Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP (“Akin Gump”) and its worldwide offices can be found here: www.akingump.com.
Unless otherwise indicated, all lawyers at Akin Gump’s Frankfurt office are admitted to practice as lawyers in the Federal Republic of Germany and are members of their local bar associations.
The most significant professional codes and rules for German lawyers are:
- BRAO – Bundesrechtsanwaltsordnung (Federal Lawyers’ Code)
- BORA – Berufsordnung (Lawyers’ Professional Code)
- FAO – Fachanwaltsordnung (Specialist Lawyers’ Code)
- RVG – Rechtsanwaltsvergütungsgesetz (Lawyers’ Fees Act)
- For international legal relations: “Standesregelung der Rechtsanwälte in der Europäischen Gemeinschaft” (Professional Standards for Lawyers in the European Community)
- For European lawyers (non-German): “Gesetz über die Tätigkeit europäischer Rechtsanwälte in Deutschland” (Act Governing the Practice of European Lawyers in Germany)
There codes can be found at www.brak.de under “Berufsrecht”. The competent bar chamber for the Frankfurt office is Frankfurt/Main (Rechtsanwaltskammer Frankfurt). The addresses of the chamber can be found at www.brak.de or at http://www.rechtsanwaltskammer-frankfurt.de/raka/nmain/index.html.
Information pursuant to Section 36 Consumer Dispute Resolution Act (Verbraucherstreitbeilegungsgesetz): Like all German lawyers, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is not obliged to participate in dispute resolution proceedings before a consumer conciliation board and neither is Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP prepared to participate in such proceedings.
12. Hong Kong Office Legal Notice.
Our Hong Kong practice is operated by Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, a partnership formed under the laws of the Hong Kong S.A.R. A list of the names of the partners of that partnership is available for inspection at Unit 01-04 &10, 28/F Alexandra House, 18 Chater Road, Central, Hong Kong.