With the expansion of biofuels production internationally, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP has drawn upon our vast renewable energy background to stand at the forefront of representing project developers, sponsors, financial institutions and investment funds in the finance and development of biofuel projects. We also work with investors and developers looking to build capacity by acquiring assets and companies through the consolidation of ethanol, biodiesel and other clean fuels industries.
Our experience includes:
- representation of an energy company in connection with the development and vendor financing of an ethanol plant located in central Texas
- representation of a global investment fund in the fund’s portfolio investment of approximately $60 million in an Argentine biodiesel plant (the investment in the Argentine company was completed in three equity tranches)
- representation of a global investment fund in the structuring and $680 million sale of its private equity investment in an ethanol/sugar production company in Brazil, which constituted the largest investment to date in the fund’s global biofuels portfolio
- representation of the project sponsors in relation to the Shari’ah-compliant financing of a biodiesel project in Hong Kong
- representation of a project developer in connection with development of numerous distributed biomass/biofuels generation systems in India
- representation of a financial institution in connection with a wood-to-syngas-to-biofuel project in Wisconsin.