Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP takes a multidisciplinary approach to our representation of clients in the hydroelectric industry. Our vast experience representing renewable energy clients combined with our regulatory experience makes us the natural go-to firm for hydroelectric projects in the United States and around the world.
Our project finance team represents sponsors, developers, financial institutions and private equity clients in the finance and development of hydroelectric projects of all sizes. Our project attorneys call upon colleagues in our regulatory practice to assist in the regulatory due diligence for, and documentation of, major energy purchase and sale, merger and investment transactions. In addition, they secure all required Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and other federal and state regulatory approvals.
Select representations include:
- Represented an infrastructure development company in the development and financing of the Xacbal 94 MW hydroelectric power project located in Guatemala, the then largest privately developed and financed greenfield hydroelectric power project in Central America. This project was recognized by Project Finance Magazine as the Latin American Renewable Energy Deal of the Year, Latin Finance Magazine as the Energy/Power Deal of the Year and The Banker magazine and Financial Times Group as the Deal of the Year (Guatemala).
- Represented a the development and financing of a 240 MW hydroelectric power project upgrade in central Africa
- Represented engineering and construction organizations in connection with the development and financing of the 1,500-km Inga-Shaba Transmission Line and in connection with the negotiation and performance of its operation and maintenance agreement in respect of the transmission line, which involved hydroelectric plant considerations.
- Negotiated electric power facility and supply agreements with Société National de l’Électricité, as well as the financing of two hydro projects in Katanga.
- Represented a construction contractor with respect to infrastructure work for the Shrinagar Hydroelectric Project.
- Advised on the development of a $700 million copper and cobalt mining project in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, including negotiation of the mining convention with the government, preparation and negotiation of the EPCM agreement, negotiation of the electric power facility and supply agreements with the state-owned electric power company, and other project documentation and financing.
- Represented the sponsor of a pumped-storage hydroelectric power project in California.
- Represented an independent power producer in connection with bidding on concession of a privatized hydroelectric project in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
- Represented an independent power producer in connection with the development of a potential upstream hydroelectric power facility in Philippines.
- Represented a developer in connection with potential development of 300 MW and 500 MW run of river power projects in Nepal.