Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP takes a multidisciplinary approach to our representation of clients in the hydroelectric industry. Our vast experience representing renewable energy clients combined with our regulatory experience makes us the natural go-to firm for hydroelectric projects in the United States and around the world.
Our project finance team represents sponsors, developers, financial institutions and private equity clients in the finance and development of hydroelectric projects of all sizes. Our project attorneys call upon colleagues in our regulatory practice to assist in the regulatory due diligence for, and documentation of, major energy purchase and sale, merger and investment transactions. In addition, they secure all required Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and other federal and state regulatory approvals.
Among our recent representations are:
- representation of an infrastructure development company in the development and financing of the Xacbal 94 MW hydroelectric power project located in Guatemala, currently the largest privately developed and financed greenfield hydroelectric power project in Central America. This project was recognized in 2007 by Project Finance Magazine as the Latin American Renewable Energy Deal of the Year, Latin Finance Magazine as the Energy/Power Deal of the Year and The Banker magazine and Financial Times Group as the Deal of the Year (Guatemala).
- representation in the development and financing of a 240 MW hydroelectric power project upgrade in central Africa
- representation of engineering and construction organizations in connection with the development and financing of the 1,500 km Inga-Shaba Transmission Line and in connection with the negotiation and performance of its operation and maintenance agreement in respect of the transmission line, which involved hydroelectric plant considerations
- negotiation of electric power facility and supply agreements with the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Société Nationale d’Électricité, as well as the financing of two hydro projects in Katanga
- representation of a construction contractor with respect to infrastructure work for the Shrinagar Hydroelectric Project
- representation of the sponsor of a pumped-storage hydroelectric power plant in California
- representation of an independent power producer in connection with bidding on concession of a privatized hydroelectric project in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- advice to an independent power producer in connection with development of potential upstream hydroelectric power facility in Philippines
- advice to a developer in connection with potential development of 300 MW and 500 MW run of river power projects in Nepal.