Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) are reinventing operations and upending business models across industries. Akin Gump’s global technology team advises multinational clients on the host of existing and emerging legal, policy and regulatory issues generated by these now-ubiquitous technologies, including quantum computing, deep learning/neural networks and cognitive computing, all of which provide the foundation for machines to imitate human intelligence and capabilities.
We have professionals and lawyers on the ground, in the world’s key financial and innovative centers, assisting clients on the development and deployment of AI/ML technologies and navigating related legislation and regulation. Assisting those clients spread across the world, our technology lawyers are on the ground in the United States, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
Broad Client Base
Our clients are highly sought-after innovators, including firms that operationalize state-of-the-art and pioneering technologies such as computer vision, speech recognition, data analytics and autonomous systems, as well as professional investors in these areas.
With a broad international client base, Akin Gump’s global AI/ML team advises companies and organizations spanning an array of sectors, including:
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Fortune 500 companies
- The leading tech platforms
- Governmental agencies and officials
- Investment management firms, including private equity and hedge funds, venture capital and sovereign wealth funds
- Manufacturers of AI/ML applications, platforms and technologies
- Multinational conglomerates
- Satellite, health care and automotive technology companies
Akin Gump’s AI/ML lawyers are industry-leading practitioners widely recognized for their cutting-edge practices. The team includes:
- Lamar Smith, former Chairman of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology (Science Committee), who was the first member of Congress to hold a hearing on AI
- Natasha Kohne, named one of California’s Top Cyber/Artificial Intelligence Lawyers
- Davina Garrod, winner of Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Europe Women in Business Law Award
Based in Washington, D.C., Rep. Smith is an Akin Gump senior consultant in the public law and policy practice. As Science Committee Chair, Rep. Smith oversaw roughly $40 billion in budgets for agencies with a primary focus on research and development. The Science Committee has jurisdiction over the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), NASA, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Science Foundation and the Federal Aviation Administration.
Depth of Experience
Akin Gump has a multidisciplinary team of AI/ML lawyers and advisors with industry intelligence and deep experience. From assessing the value and risks of AI/ML technologies to financing and implementation, our team guides clients through AI/ML-related deals, regulations, disputes and investigations. Akin Gump’s AI/ML lawyers have a great depth of practice, including experience providing counsel on:
- Antitrust and Competition
- Capital Markets
- Crisis Management
- Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection
- Energy and Environmental
- Foreign Investment and National Security
- Government Contracts
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade
- Investment Management
- Litigation and International Arbitration
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Public Law and Policy
- Regulatory and Compliance
- White Collar Defense and Government Investigations
Spotlight on Public Law and Policy
Akin Gump has one of the largest and most diverse government relations practices of any major law firm worldwide. Our cross-practice AI/ML team closely tracks the regulatory trajectory of this quickly evolving field. Congress and the Biden-Harris administration continue to take action to ensure the U.S. maintains its global leadership in emerging technologies, including AI/ML. Additional investments and a new approach to accelerate U.S. science and technology developments are beginning to materialize in light of growing concerns that other countries are ready to challenge America’s position on the innovation stage. Our AI/ML team monitors those developments, including of the latest congressional, administrative and private-stakeholder initiatives related to AI/ML.
Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection
- Assisting a manufacturer working to operationalize AI technologies such as facial recognition.
- Advising a satellite technology company on using Big Data for new product development and issues arising under EU law in relation to facial recognition technology.
- Advising an innovative, technology-driven quantitative investment firm in relation to cyber security and related matters.
- Advising a user of AI webscraping technologies and services in relation to European privacy laws.
Public Law and Policy, Regulatory and Compliance
- Advising a leading security analytics software company on novel legal and regulatory compliance issues regarding AI/ML.