There is no better place for an employer to start protecting itself than by ensuring compliance with complex federal and state regulatory schemes that ensure employee protection. With the goal of safeguarding our clients in mind, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s team of occupational safety and health attorneys provides a broad range of workplace safety and health legal services, including:
- Compliance Advice and Programs - We work with clients to develop and implement workplace safety and health policies, procedures and compliance programs to mitigate the risk of workplace accidents, injuries and regulatory liability.
- Inspections and Enforcement Actions - Whether the case involves a willful, repeat or egregious allegation, we represent companies in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspections, citation enforcement actions and criminal investigations and enforcements.
- Whistleblower, Retaliation Defense - We represent companies in investigations and litigation involving allegations of whistleblowing and retaliation under the Occupational Safety and Health Act and other laws enforced by OSHA.
- Disaster Response and Recovery - Starting with on-site accident investigation management, we represent companies in their comprehensive response to workplace fatalities and disasters, including developing accident response plans that help address issues of ongoing regulatory investigations and compliance, liability, operational continuity, employee relations and media.
- Due Diligence in Corporate Transactions - We perform due diligence reviews during mergers and acquisitions to assess the target’s compliance status and potential liabilities related to workplace accidents, injuries, illnesses and exposures to toxic substances.
- Agency Rulemaking - We represent employers and industry associations in a broad range of rulemaking proceedings on critical OSHA standards.
Our team has represented clients in more than 150 workplace accidents, more than 100 fatality cases and dozens of contested cases before federal and state workplace safety agencies. We have worked with clients in a wide array of industries, including construction, retail, service, petrochemical, pipeline and trucking. For example, our team:
- represented a large manufacturer in regulatory proceedings stemming from a plant explosion that damaged a large processing unit and killed eight employees
- defended a construction contractor in OSHA proceedings and in a grand jury investigation stemming from a fatal construction accident
- managed a compliance review at a large manufacturer following a workplace accident
- managed a multisubsidiary company’s docket of occupational safety and health cases, including oversight of strategy, cost management of defense and development of lessons learned.