Anne E. Borkovic is counsel with Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP.
Practice & Background
Ms. Borkovic counsels U.S. and international clients on law and policy affecting international trade and business, including economic sanctions programs, export controls, and antibribery and anti-money laundering (AML) laws and regulations.
She has extensive experience assisting clients in:
- conducting investigations, including preparing voluntary disclosures, responding to government inquiries and subpoenas for multijurisdictional matters, and planning internal investigation management strategies
- developing compliance programs and strategies, including designing automated IT solutions and electronic tools, implementing policies and procedures, and auditing corrective action commitments
- performing due diligence for corporate transactions, self-assessments and on-site audits
- preparing license applications, commodity jurisdiction requests, commodity classification requests (CCATS), encryption review requests, advisory opinion requests, and other submissions to U.S. government agencies.
Ms. Borkovic’s experience covers a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense, retail, life sciences, high technology, logistics and freight forwarding, manufacturing, and venture capital and private equity industries.
Relevant agencies and areas of law include:
- defense trade controls (ITAR), administered by the U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC)
- dual-use export controls (EAR) and antiboycott regulations, administered by the U.S. Department of Commerce (BIS, OAC, Census)
- U.S. economic sanctions programs, administered by the U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), enforced by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and other antibribery laws and programs, including the U.K. Bribery Act (UKBA) and World Bank guidelines
- U.S. AML programs, administered by the U.S. Treasury Department.
- Speaker, “ITAR Enforcement,” Export Compliance Training Institute’s U.S. Export Controls for EU, U.K., and other non-U.S. Companies Seminar, London, UK, May 18, 2017
- Panelist, “Underground: Ethics, Bribery, and Corrupt Practices,” The Fashion Law Institute Symposium, New York, NY (April 22, 2016)
- Speaker, “Economic Sanctions,” Go Global, Rockford, IL (May 2013)