- 15+ years’ experience advising clients on EU, Swiss and U.K. trade regulations.
- Areas of expertise include export controls, sanctions, customs, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, as well as national security related investment reviews.
Chiara Klaui advises clients on EU, Swiss and U.K. trade compliance matters, provides transactional assistance, drafts and supports the implementation of trade compliance policies and procedures, conducts internal investigations, assists with voluntary self-disclosures, and represents companies in (settlement) negotiations with regulators.
- Advising a leader in technology and engineering on the development of its global trade compliance program, including the establishment of an export controls classification process, and acting as internal trade counsel for any EU, Swiss and U.K. customs, export controls or sanctions related queries.
- Assisting a travel reservations platform with the successful negotiation of a settlement with a regulator in respect of alleged breaches of the EU Crimea sanctions.
- Conducting an internal investigation for an IT company into export controls breaches including the preparation of disclosure reports for U.K. regulators as well as the establishment and implementation of corrective actions.
- Representing a portfolio company of an investment fund in customs legislation against the re-assessment of underpaid customs, antidumping and countervailing duties in respect of the alleged unlawful release for free circulation of U.S. origin biodiesel subject to trade policy measures in the EU.
- Assisting a semiconductor company with the notification of a contemplated investment in a U.K. based entity to the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.
Public Service and Affiliations