- Served as the first director of the Division of Enforcement at the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB).
- Offers extensive enforcement experience involving the regulation and oversight of the accounting and auditing industry.
- Held several other positions at the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
The one and only PCAOB enforcement director to enter private practice, Claudius Modesti counsels and defends accounting firms, regulated entities, corporations and individuals in regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings involving the PCAOB and the SEC, in addition to advising on other federal or state criminal investigations.
- Oversaw PCAOB investigations and litigation against auditors under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the Dodd-Frank Act for violations of federal securities laws, including PCAOB audit standards and rules.
- Achieved favorable settlements for the PCAOB involving a broad range of audit violations, including quality control failures, audit failures, independence violations, obstruction of PCAOB oversight and other noncooperation.
- Supervised investigations and enforcement actions against the Big Four accounting firms, their affiliates and other accounting firms in jurisdictions including India, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey and Indonesia.
- Reported directly to six PCAOB Chairmen, including the Acting Chairman, from both political parties and served as a member of senior staff providing input across a broad spectrum of strategy, policy and legal areas impacting the organization.
- Established strong, collaborative working relationships with key agencies and departments, including the DOJ, the SEC, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, (FINRA), U.S. federal bank regulators and state accountancy boards.
Public Service and Affiliations