Practice & Background
Eduardo Canales is an associate in the firm’s Global Energy Transactions practice. Mr. Canales received his B.A. in business-economics and government from The University of Texas at Austin. He graduated cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law and obtained a master in energy, environment and natural resources law from the University of Houston Law Center.
Mr. Canales counsels public and private energy companies in domestic and international acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, project development and strategic transactions along the oil and gas supply chain.
Mr. Canales’ representations include advising:
- a public E&P company in a joint development agreement with private equity fund in connection with a $2.3 billion acquisition of Eagle Ford Shale assets
- a public E&P company in a series of asset acquisitions in the Midland Basin totaling over $700 million
- a major E&P company in a series of five divestitures of producing properties in South and East Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi totaling over $1.2 billion
- a public E&P company in the divestiture of all of its assets in certain shale plays located in Texas and Louisiana totaling over $500 million
- an international oil and gas trading and marketing company in connection with the sale of its west Texas assets totaling over $750 million
- a Russian oil and gas company in the negotiation of a joint operating agreement for a contract area in Mexico
- a major offshore drilling company in the divestiture of its jack-up drilling rig and liftboat fleets worldwide
- private equity funds in the acquisition of a petrochemical facility, an oil and gas services company and drilling equipment
- a Mexican governmental agency regarding the implementation of energy reforms for the country’s first international oil and gas licensing round
- master limited partnerships in the preparation of amendments to secured credit facilities and indentures
- a commodities trading company in the negotiation, formation and implementation of a joint venture to establish and construct a petroleum products port and terminal in Mexico
- a private E&P company during the negotiation of service agreements for oil fields in Ecuador
- a private E&P company in the negotiation of license agreement for oil fields in Argentina
- an international energy conglomerate in the negotiation of offtake agreements for an LNG export facility in the U.S.
- a public E&P company in the negotiation of an offshore unit operating agreement
- an unofficial committee of bondholders regarding the restructuring of a major offshore drilling company, which will include a pre-packaged Chapter 11 US Bankruptcy filing and a substantial infusion of capital and debt into the newly organized company
- one of the largest oil producers in the Gulf of Mexico with a suite of agreements for the development, construction and installation of two large fixed-leg offshore oil and gas platforms
Mr. Canales has dedicated pro bono efforts to represent numerous clients in immigration proceedings through Akin Gump’s award-winning Pro Bono practice.
He is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the World Affairs Council, the Houston Bar Association, the Houston Young Lawyers Association, Young Professionals in Energy and the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.