- Advises on bet-the-company False Claims Act (FCA) cases.
- Handles global internal investigations.
- Particular focus on privacy and cybersecurity policy review and litigation.
Lizzy Scott assists clients in complex commercial litigation. Her practice emphasizes defense in lawsuits filed under the FCA and representing public companies and their officers and directors in securities and privacy litigation, internal investigations, regulatory investigations and other enforcement proceedings.
- Advised a highway products manufacturer and diversified industrial company at trial and on appeal of a $663 million FCA judgment, with the appellate court reversing the trial court’s verdict, finding that the relator failed to satisfy the FCA’s materiality element.
- Counseled defendants against claims that they misrepresented ownership and control of entities to obtain government licenses in violation of the federal FCA.
- Represented a health assessment provider against claims that it made improperly coded diagnoses that were not supported by the medical records in violation of the federal FCA.
- Served as counsel to a highway products manufacturer in putative consumer class actions in the Western District of Wisconsin, Southern District of Illinois and Jackson County, Missouri Circuit Court, alleging breach of warranty, unjust enrichment, violations of deceptive trade practices and consumer fraud acts, negligence, strict liability and negligently supplying a dangerous instrumentality for the supplier’s business purpose.
- Assisted a financial clearing firm in a securities class action and shareholder derivative actions pending in Texas state and federal court.
Public Service and Affiliations