Practice & Background
Elizabeth Marie Dulong Scott’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation matters, with an emphasis on defending lawsuits filed under the False Claims Act (FCA) and representing public companies and their officers and directors in securities and privacy litigation, internal investigations, and regulatory investigations, and enforcement proceedings. Ms. Scott also handles a range of other litigation matters, including securities and consumer class actions, energy, breach of contract, business fraud and other business torts. Ms. Scott has experience in state and federal court, as well as before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, a branch of the American Arbitration Association.
Ms. Scott also devotes a significant portion of her time to pro bono matters, and, in 2011, she was named firmwide pro bono associate of the year.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Ms. Scott served as a law clerk for the Honorable Leslie H.Southwick of the United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit from 2008-2009 and for the Honorable Daniel P. Jordan III of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi from 2007-2008. Ms. Scott also served as an adjunct professor for the Mississippi College School of Law from 2008-2009, teaching legal writing and citation.
Ms. Scott received a B.A. summa cum laude with distinction in English from Hendrix College in 2004. In 2007, she received a J.D. with high honors from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock William H. Bowen School of Law, where she was the research editor for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Law Review and was the recipient of the Robert Sarver Award, which is awarded to the graduating graduate student adjudged outstanding on the basis of leadership, citizenship, scholarship and character.
Ms. Scott is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the Bar Association of the 5th Federal Circuit, the Dallas Bar Association, the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers and the American Bar Association.
Ms. Scott’s recent engagements include:
- representation of defendants against claims that they misrepresented ownership and control of entities to obtain government licenses in violation of the federal FCA
- representation of clients on complex internal investigations covering a broad range of issues, including allegations relating to financial integrity violations, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), conflicts of interest, employment issues, and ethical and procedural violations
- representation of clients facing Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) investigations
- representation of a highway products manufacturer in putative consumer class actions in the Western District of Wisconsin, Southern District of Illinois, and Jackson County, Missouri Circuit Court, alleging breach of warranty, unjust enrichment, violations of deceptive trade practices and consumer fraud acts, negligence, strict liability, and negligently supplying a dangerous instrumentality for supplier’s business purpose
- representation of an aircraft operator in a $60 million international arbitration relating to the interior completion of an aircraft
- representation of a financial clearing firm in a securities class action and shareholder derivative actions pending in Texas state and federal court
- representation of local ministries in a lawsuit against the City of Dallas to invalidate an ordinance restricting the ministries’ ability to share food with homeless individuals.
Ms. Scott’s community, civic and charitable activities include being a:
- member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- member of the board of directors of Kitchen Dog Theater
- member of Attorneys Serving the Community
- graduate of the Dallas Leadership Arts Institute.
Awards & Accolades
- Named, D Magazine, "Best Lawyers Under 40," 2018
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2017
- Conducting Effective Internal Investigations: Your Thorough Guide in 2017, The Knowledge Group Webinar, May 4, 2017, Dallas, TX
- False Claims Act Landscape for 2017, The Knowledge Group, February 8, 2017, Dallas, TX
- 3rd Advanced Forum on False Claims & Qui Tam Enforcement, American Conference Institute, January 21-22, 2016, New York, NY
- 2016 Qui Tam & False Claims Act Developments: What You Need to Know LIVE Webcast, The Knowledge Group, July 13, 2016, Dallas, TX.
- “Five Cybersecurity Mistakes that Could Result in Prosecution,” Akin Gump In-House Counsel CLE, October 17, 2013 (Houston), September 10, 2013 (Dallas)