Garrett A. DeVries represents clients in capital markets, securities and mergers and acquisitions.
Practice & Background
Mr. DeVries acts as lead securities counsel for several public companies, counseling on capital raising, securities compliance, reporting obligations, shareholder relations and other corporate governance matters. He advises on initial and follow-on offerings of equity and debt, Rule 144A offerings and A/B exchange offers, private equity and debt financings for both publicly and privately held companies.
Mr. DeVries also leads complex mergers, acquisitions and dispositions for public and private companies.
Mr. DeVries’ securities representations include, among others:
- a civil infrastructure company in its initial public offering of common stock
- a ready-mix concrete manufacturer in $800 million of senior secured notes offerings, senior notes offerings and tack on offerings under Rule 144A
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in its private placement of preferred shares
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in its private placement of senior notes
- a designer and manufacturer of fashion accessories in its public offerings of convertible notes and senior notes
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in its initial public offering, universal shelf registration statement and related equity takedowns
- a manufacturer of pumps, valves, seals and components in a public offering of investment-grade senior notes
- a financial services company in an shelf registration of common stock and underwritten shelf takedown
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in its initial public offering of common shares
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in multiple Regulation S offerings outside the United States and concurrent Regulation D private placements inside the United States
- a major supplier of aviation parts in a series of public and private offerings, including preferred stock, senior notes, senior secured notes and common stock
- a leading investment bank in an underwritten offering of senior notes of a leading trucking company
- a major electronics retailer in a Rule 144A offering of senior notes
- the initial public offering of an air cargo transportation company and subsequent offerings of senior secured notes and common stock
Mr. DeVries’ M&A representations include, among others:
- a leading U.S. steel manufacturer in 10+ strategic acquisitions and dispositions
- a major supplier of aviation parts in its $1.7 billion sale to one of the world’s leading aerospace companies
- the owner/operator of some of the world’s most prestigious private clubs in its $1.8 billion sale to a private equity fund
- a designer and manufacturer of fashion accessories in its acquisition of another designer and manufacturer of fashion accessories
- an international oil and gas exploration and production company in a series of divestitures of non-core operations in EMEA
- a NYSE-listed food and beverage company in a series of acquisitions of dairy assets
- a financial services company in its purchase of stock in a brokerage and asset management company from a life insurer
- an air cargo transportation company in its acquisitions of an air cargo transportation company and a trucking company
Mr. DeVries served on the Executive Leadership Team for the American Heart Association Cotes du Coeur charity auction. Mr. DeVries is an author of revisions to the American Bar Association (ABA) Model Stock Purchase Agreement for the ABA Negotiated Acquisitions Committee.
Awards & Accolades
- recognized by Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, 2014-2019
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” (D Magazine, May 2013)
- "Texas Super Lawyer" (Super Lawyers Magazine, 2004-2015)
- Dallas Business Journal 2007 M&A Award for Aviall-Boeing transaction
- Dallas Business Journal 2007 M&A Award Finalist for ClubCorp transaction.
- "Preparing Managements Report on Internal Control Over Financial Reporting"
- "Learning from Others Mistakes: How to Avoid a Reg. FD Enforcement Action"
- "Earnouts in Business Acquisitions: A Practical Solution or a Trap for the Unwary?"
- "U.S. Small Cap Issuer Audit Committee Financial Expert Survey."