Garrett A. DeVries represents clients in capital markets, securities, mergers and acquisitions, and equity derivatives transactions.
Practice & Background
Mr. DeVries acts as lead securities counsel for several public companies, counseling on capital raising, securities compliance, reporting obligations, shareholder relations and other corporate governance matters. He advises on initial and follow-on offerings of equity and debt, Rule 144A offerings and A/B exchange offers, private equity and debt financings for both publicly and privately held companies, and over-the-counter equity derivative transactions, including collars and forward sales.
Mr. DeVries also leads complex mergers, acquisitions and dispositions for public and private companies. He has represented a major provider of aviation parts and related aftermarket services in its sale to one of the world’s leading aerospace companies, and the owner/operator of some of the world’s most prestigious private clubs to a private equity fund.
Mr. DeVries’ recent representations include:
- a ready-mix concrete manufacturer in its $200 million
Rule 144A senior secured notes offering
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in its $150 million universal shelf registration statement and subsequent equity takedown
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in its $100 million reserves-based credit line
- a manufacturer of pumps, valves, seals and components in a $500 million offering of investment-grade senior notes
- a designer and manufacturer of fashion accessories in its $250 million acquisition of another designer and manufacturer of fashion accessories
- a financial services company in an S-3 shelf registration of common stock and subsequent
$50 million underwritten shelf takedown
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in the public offering of 30.4 million common shares, raising gross proceeds of $85 million
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in a Regulation S offering outside the United States and concurrent Regulation D private placement inside the United States raising gross proceeds of $110 million
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in a Regulation S offering outside the United States. and concurrent Regulation D private placement inside the United States raising gross proceeds of $150 million
- a major provider of aviation parts and related aftermarket services in its $1.7 billion sale to one of the world’s leading aerospace companies
- the owner/operator of some of the world’s most prestigious private clubs in its $1.8 billion sale to a private equity fund
- a financial services company in its purchase of stock in a brokerage and asset management company from a life insurer
- a New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)-listed food and beverage company in a series of acquisitions of dairy assets
- an NYSE-listed steel and metals manufacturer in a series of strategic dispositions.
Mr. DeVries serves on the Executive Leadership Team for the American Heart Association Cotes du Coeur charity auction. Mr. DeVries is an author of revisions to the American Bar Association (ABA) Model Stock Purchase Agreement for the ABA Negotiated Acquisitions Committee. He is also involved in the ABA Federal Regulation of Securities Committee.
Awards & Accolades
- recognized by Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, 2014- 2015
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” (D Magazine, May 2013)
- "Texas Super Lawyer" (Super Lawyers Magazine, 2004-2015)
- Dallas Business Journal 2007 M&A Award for Aviall-Boeing transaction
- Dallas Business Journal 2007 M&A Award Finalist for ClubCorp transaction.
- "Preparing Managements Report on Internal Control Over Financial Reporting"
- "Learning from Others Mistakes: How to Avoid a Reg. FD Enforcement Action"
- "Earnouts in Business Acquisitions: A Practical Solution or a Trap for the Unwary?"
- "U.S. Small Cap Issuer Audit Committee Financial Expert Survey."