- An English lawyer who concentrates on complex and cross-border insolvency, restructurings and disputes.
- Consistently ranked in the top tier of practitioners by Chambers UK, Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Legal 500, IFLR 1000, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers, among others.
- Senior partner of the London office and member of the firm’s management committee.
James has advised on numerous restructurings of distressed bonds, notes and loans in Europe. He possesses a wealth of experience spanning more than 35 years, acting for investors on some of the largest and most high-profile U.K. and cross-border restructurings, as well as litigation and a wide range of debt and equity investments.
- Leading the team acting as independent international legal counsel in connection with the negotiation, agreement and implementation of the settlement plan in relation to Agrokor d.d. and its subsidiaries, under the Law on the Procedure of Extraordinary Administration in Companies of Systemic Importance for the Republic of Croatia. This process was a first for Croatia and involved a company of significant importance to Croatia and the Balkans.
- Represented the mezzanine lenders on the US$2.5 billion debt restructuring of Expro Holdings, an oil-and-gas-well services provider.
- Advised Brunswick Rail Limited, the Bermudan holding company of a Russian railcar leasing business, on the successful financial restructuring of the group’s capital structure, including its US$600 million high-yield bonds.
- Represented an ad hoc group of subordinated debtholders on the settlement of €1.2 billion Tier 1 securities of DEPFA Bank.
- Represented the mezzanine lenders of Vivacom, a Bulgarian telecoms company, on a €1.6 billion financial restructuring.
Public Service and Affiliations