Joel Jankowsky is a senior partner with close to four decades of experience at the firm. Mr. Jankowsky represents numerous clients on a variety of public policy matters, with an emphasis on entertainment, telecommunications and technology-related issues.
Practice & Background
Prior to joining Akin Gump in 1977, Mr. Jankowsky was legislative assistant to the Honorable Carl Albert, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, from 1972 to 1977. Mr. Jankowsky served as a captain in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General Corps from 1968 to 1972.
Mr. Jankowsky has received multiple, national accolades for his work. The National Law Journal named him among the “100 Most Influential Lawyers in America” in 2013. The publication also named him as one of the “Most Influential Lawyers” in the field of government affairs in 2011.
Mr. Jankowsky’s recent representations include:
- the multi-year representation of the Coalition for 21st Century Patent Reform in support of legislation to reform the patent system. The Coalition has more than 40 members from 18 diverse industry sectors and includes many of the nation’s leading manufacturers and researchers. The coalition’s steering committee includes 3M, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Caterpillar, Exxon Mobil, General Electric, Johnson & Johnson, Eli Lilly and Procter & Gamble. The effort culminated in the enactment of the America Invents Act. Visit http://www.patentsmatter.com for more information.
Mr. Jankowsky is active in civic and community programs including:
- chairing the board of directors of the Close Up Foundation
- serving on the board of advisors of the Carl Albert Center at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma
- serving as a sustaining director of the Prevent Cancer Foundation
- previously serving as a member of the board of directors of the MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital
- previously serving as a member of the board of directors of the Bryce Harlow Foundation
- previously serving as a member of the Page Review Commission for the U.S. House of Representatives
- previously serving as a member of the board of trustees of The Potomac School of McLean, Virginia.
Awards & Accolades
- Legal 500 – Government Relations (2016)
- Consistently named by The Hill as one of Washington, D.C.’s “Top Lobbyists” (2005-2015)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business — Government Relations
- Best Lawyers in America (2012-2015) — Government Relations
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer (2014-2016)
- Named as one of The National Law Journal’s “100 Most Influential Lawyers in America” (March 2013)
- Named as one of The National Law Journal’s “Most Influential Lawyers” in the field of government affairs (June 2011)
- Recipient of the 2010 Bryce Harlow Business-Government Relations Award by the Bryce Harlow Foundation.
Mr. Jankowsky has been a guest lecturer at the:
- Bryce Harlow Foundation
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation
- School of Public Affairs, American University.