- Advises clients on a broad range of U.S. and international tax matters.
- Focuses on the formation and operation of domestic and international real estate transactions, as well as project finance and renewable energy transactions.
Joshua Williams regularly counsels on international tax issues that arise with respect to investments in the United States by non-U.S. investors (including investors subject to special U.S. tax treatment), as well as investments by U.S. investors outside the United States. Josh has substantial transactional experience in the real estate area and regularly advises on real estate funds and other market participants on a broad array of U.S. and international tax issues presented by investments in real estate, including issues raised under the real estate investment trust rules.
- Represented NRG, Inc., with respect to Treasury Grant and tax matters in the financing of California Valley Solar Ranch, a $1.5 billion solar photovoltaic project supported by a Department of Energy loan guarantee.
- Advised an investment fund in its acquisition of significant debt and equity positions in RCS Capital Corporation and American Realty Capital Properties, Inc.
- Counseled an investment fund in its purchase of leasehold interests in wireless cell tower easements, which raised a number of complex real estate investment trust (REIT) and real estate-related tax issues.
- Represented a number of investment funds in connection with investments in distressed debt securities in the United States and abroad.
- Advised a publicly traded company in connection with a successful private letter ruling request that involved novel consolidated return issues.