- Trusted advisor to boards of directors and C-suites.
- More than 25 years of merger and acquisition (M&A), securities and governance experience.
- Go-to advisor to postrestructured companies and on tax-driven transactions.
Kerry Berchem is outside general counsel and strategic advisor to public companies. Clients rely on her judgment and business acumen to manage risk, solve problems and create value.
- Acts as outside general counsel to U.S. Concrete, Inc. (NASDAQ:USCR), a leading producer of ready-mixed concrete and aggregate products, since 2012. Kerry leads a team that has helped U.S. Concrete execute upon a buy-and-build strategy to accelerate the company’s growth, operations and geographic scope following its 2010 emergence from bankruptcy. This has included more than 10 strategic M&A transactions throughout the United States.
- Acts as outside general counsel to WMIH Corp. (NASDAQ:WMIH), which holds the legacy reinsurance business of Washington Mutual Inc. and has roughly $6 billion of federal NOL carryforwards that are not subject to any annual use limitation, as well as approximately $600 million in cash and cash equivalents. WMIH has been focused on an accretive acquisition in the financial institutions sector. Akin Gump has advised the company with regard to numerous financings and offerings, including a strategic investment in the company by subsidiaries of KKR & Co. L.P. Kerry recently advised WMIH in its $3.8 billion merger with Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc., owner of the Mr. Cooper mortgage servicing platform.
- Serves as outside general counsel to Greenlight Capital Re, Ltd. (NASDAQ:GLRE), a Cayman Island reinsurance company, since its inception in 2004. She has represented the company in connection with its formation, its initial $250 million capitalization, and its $212 million initial public offering and concurrent $50 million private placement, and advises the company and its board with respect to all of its securities filings and ongoing compliance, financings and various governance issues.
- Represents Bluestem Brands, the parent company to 13 e-commerce retail brands, including Fingerhut, in all of its corporate governance, finance and trade matters. Kerry’s representation of the company began with her work for Capmark Financial Group Inc., after its emergence from bankruptcy and acquisition of Bluestem, in connection with its $410 acquisition of Orchard Brands Corporation.
Public Service and Affiliations