Meng Ru’s practice focuses on complex finance transactions, including leveraged buyouts and distressed debt transactions.
Practice & Background
Ms. Ru has represented some of the most sophisticated financial institutions and their portfolio companies in domestic and international debt financings principally in connection with leveraged buyouts, including first lien and second lien senior secured debt financings, high yield bridge financings and private mezzanine debt financings.
She advises institutional investors and corporate clients in restructuring the balance sheets of overleveraged companies, including debt workouts and debt exchanges. She represents debtors and creditors in rescue financings, debtor-in-possession financings and exit financings. She also advises investors in their distressed investing activities.
Ms. Ru is a co-founder and director of the Chinese Business Lawyers Association, a global forum of professional and social exchanges for legal, finance, and other professionals with an interest in law and business in the U.S. and China, without regard to location, ethnicity or language.
Ms. Ru’s recent engagements include serving as counsel to:
Corporate and private equity financings
- a private equity fund in connection with senior secured credit facilities to finance its acquisition of a 51 percent controlling interest in a financial services processing business
- a private equity-backed global logistics company in connection with more than $2 billion of bank, bridge and high-yield financings and international debt exchange offers
- a private equity fund in connection with more than $7 billion of bank, bridge and high-yield financing for its acquisition of a real estate brokerage franchisor and residential real estate brokerage firm
- a global investment fund as lender in the $150 million term loan of a real estate investment firm
- a large concrete company as issuer/borrower in the issuance of $200 million of senior secured notes and the amendment and restatement of its $175 million ABL credit facility
- an investment management firm in connection with $375 million of senior secured credit facilities to finance its acquisition of musical instrument manufacturer
- a global credit specialist as lender in the $100 million second lien term loan facility to an energy company
- a major lender in the aviation industry in connection with senior secured credit facilities to finance aircraft acquisition.
- a lender in the DIP and exit financing to The Dolan Company
- a lender in the DIP financing to School Specialty, Inc.
- a lender in the DIP financing to LightSquared Inc.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Dynegy Holdings, LLC with respect to various financing matters
- an ad hoc group of monetary production payments holders in the refinancing of Endeavor International Holding B.V.’s credit facilities prior to the Chapter 11 filings by the borrower’s U.S. affiliates
- a secured lender in the DIP financing to Ormet Corp.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Overseas Shipping Group with respect to various financing matters
- a lender with respect to the exit financing to Penn Foster
- Pinnacles Airlines, as borrower, with respect to its DIP financing and exit financing
- a lender in the out-of-court restructuring and financing to Manishewitz
- a Canada-based natural gas company in a $410 million exit financing.
Awards & Accolades
- New York Law Journal Rising Star 2015
- Super Lawyers New York Metro Area Rising Star 2013-2014
- Is Asia Right for You? The Ins and Outs of Working in Asia, The Asian American Bar Association of New York Fall Conference, 2010