Robert H. Pees is principally engaged in commercial litigation, with a concentration in litigation and international and domestic arbitration arising from securities offerings and corporate transactions.
Practice & Background
Mr. Pees represents a variety of clients, including financial services firms, broker dealers, insurance industry intermediaries, investment funds and real estate limited partnerships. He frequently counsels investment funds and others regarding counter-party risks. He has extensive experience in the area of class actions and multidistrict litigation. During his legal career, he has acted as counsel in many large lawsuits, including high-profile complex multidistrict litigation and significant arbitration.
Mr. Pees is currently a member of the New York office’s diversity committee.
Mr. Pees received his B.A. summa cum laude in 1984 from the University of Texas at Austin, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. cum laude in 1987 from Harvard Law School, where he was comments editor of the Harvard Civil Rights - Civil Liberties Law Review.
In 2014 and 2015, Mr. Pees has been recognized by BTI Consulting Group as one its BTI Client Service All-Stars, Additionally, in honor of two consecutive inclusions in their list, BTI also named him an MVP, a category distinguishing those “committed to ensuring their client service is consistently meeting the rising expectations of General Counsel.”
Mr. Pees’ recent representations include:
- representation of hotel industry company in arbitration
- representation of electronics industry company in consumer class action
- representation of a university endowment manager in a class action seeking to prevent a shareholder vote in connection with a multimillion dollar investment
- representation of a private equity fund sued in Delaware Chancery Court in connection with the acquisition of an amusement park industry client
- representation of a collateral manager in dispute relating to a collateralized debt obligation
- representation of the former CEO of a Fortune 100 company in a securities fraud litigation
- representation of a large global telecommunications company in litigation and international arbitration relating to a $19 billion merger
- representation of a private equity fund sued in multiple jurisdictions in connection with the acquisition of a publicly-traded energy company
- representation of an energy company in an international arbitration relating to oil exploration and development rights
- representation of an insurance brokerage firm in industrywide governmental investigations and a related multidistrict antitrust action
- representation of a seller in a lawsuit to enjoin the spin-off of a large internet-services subsidiary and vacate an arbitral award
- representation of a financial services company in a multidistrict antitrust action relating to alleged price-fixing in the municipal derivatives market
- representation of a hedge fund in a securities fraud litigation
- representation of an investment fund in a fraudulent conveyance action in Delaware Chancery Court
- representation of the president of an investment banking firm in connection with a motion to quash a subpoena in a Section 1782 proceeding.
Mr. Pees is involved in numerous community, civic and charitable activities and previously served as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Brooklyn Historical Society.
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States 2018 as a leader in the category of Dispute Resolution – Securities Litigation – Defense.