- Focuses on securities litigation.
- Partner-in-charge of the Dallas office.
Scott Barnard handles business litigation matters in both federal and state court, with particular experience in securities litigation. He represents public companies, directors and officers, broker-dealers and board committees in securities class actions, shareholder derivative lawsuits and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) securities arbitrations. He currently serves as Panel Counsel for the Directors and Officers Securities Claims and Investigation EdgeSMPanels of the American International Group. Chambers USA notes that clients describe Scott as “very tenacious, very creative and very good at getting successful outcomes for us," and appreciate that he “has great institutional knowledge and ensures that across the firm our matters are well coordinated.”
- For a publicly traded energy company, obtained a favorable settlement within insurance limits in a derivative suit against the client’s board of directors. The suit alleged claims of breach of fiduciary duty and unjust enrichment.
- Obtained a complete dismissal in federal court in Texas of business tort claims for a French-owned, publicly traded company. The verdict was affirmed by the 5th Circuit.
- In a case with fiduciary claims against directors of a publicly traded company, obtained complete dismissal in federal court in Dallas.
- In Texas federal court and Texas state court, represented one of the largest publicly traded clearing firms in the United States in a securities class action and a shareholder derivative action.
- Defended in Delaware Chancery Court officers and directors of a master limited partnership against allegations of tortious interference and aiding and abetting breaches of fiduciary duty.
Public Service and Affiliations