Our health industry practice is keenly aware of the intersection between health care and policy. The attorneys and advisors of our health industry and public law and policy practices work together as a team, providing health industry clients with a comprehensive, integrated and seamless approach to problem-solving. We routinely track, analyze and draft legislation for a number of health industry clients, including drug and device manufacturers, various types of providers, advocacy groups, private equity firms and other corporations and institutions.
We have advised clients on many of the major congressional health care initiatives considered in the past 20 years, including the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 (PPACA or ACA), the Medicare Modernization Act of 2003 (MMA), the Benefits Improvement and Protection Act of 2000, the Balanced Budget Refinement Act of 1999, the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 and the Clinton administration health care reform proposal of 1993. Furthermore, we advise clients with regard to the implementation of these legislative initiatives by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other federal agencies and departments.
Examples of our health industry policy and legislative experience include:
- advocacy and analysis in connection with enactment and implementation of the ACA for health industry participants, including employers, providers and pharmaceutical companies
- advocacy on behalf of pharmaceutical manufacturers with regard to Hatch-Waxman issues
- advocacy and analysis on behalf of a long-term care hospital system that was seeking to reverse proposed Medicare cuts
- representation of health industry clients in connection with congressional investigations
- advocacy on behalf of a coalition of pharmaceutical manufacturers, patient groups, pharmacies and health information technology organizations relating to the electronic prescribing provisions in the MMA
- advocacy on behalf of community hospitals in Medicare wage index reimbursement matters and appropriations requests
- counseling and advocacy for leading cancer hospitals on a variety of policy and regulatory issues, including Medicare coverage and payment matters
- advocacy relating to congressional action on the reimportation of prescription drugs
- advocacy for health information technology (HIT) vendors regarding HIT adoption legislation.