Fueled by our global capabilities, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is able to assist our traditional power clients around legal and regulatory roadblocks while representing them in all aspects of the development and financing of cogeneration, independent and public power projects, including partnership and joint venture agreements, project finance and development documents and sophisticated tax allocation and ownership arrangements. In addition, corporate clients and governments have engaged Akin Gump repeatedly in connection with the privatization of electric generating, distribution and transmission companies in emerging markets.
Our recent matters include the representation of:
- a leading U.S. power generation company in the $2.4 billion purchase of a generation portfolio, as well as in a $1.5 billion senior notes offering, a $900 million offering of its stock, a $2 billion credit facility and an $850 million term loan facility
- a leading energy sector contractor in a $1.26 billion merger
- the project developer in connection with the development, construction and financing of the 2x362 MW coal-fired Meizhou Wan Power Project, which was subsequently named “Asia Pacific Power Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International
- an energy company in connection with the development and vendor financing of a 500 MW power plant project in Texas
- a major energy developer in connection with the acquisition and joint venture for the development of $2 billion mine mouth, coal-fired electric generation
- an electric utility company in its development of a major high-voltage transmission line and its application, granted by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), for incentive rate treatment for the recovery of the company’s investment
- an energy company in the acquisition of the Loy Yang B power project in Australia from the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) at a cost of $1.5 billion.