Lawyers in the environment and natural resources practice at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP frequently represent client interests on public policy issues before legislative and regulatory bodies such as Congress; state legislatures; the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA); the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC); the departments of Interior, Agriculture and Energy; the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; and similar state agencies. In addition, Akin Gump also calls upon the resources of our highly regarded public law and policy practice, which maintains close contact with key House and Senate oversight committees and with agency personnel involved in environmental matters of concern to our clients.
In recent years, our lawyers have:
- drafted comments on EPA’s New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) for industrial boilers under the Clean Air Act
- drafted comments on the Corps of Engineers’ permit rules for its dredge and fill program under the Clean Water Act
- drafted comments on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) proposed regulations governing overflights of the Grand Canyon National Park by air tour operators
- drafted comments on Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) proposed regulations governing the statewide and metropolitan transportation planning processes and the environmental review (National Environmental Policy Act) process for federally aided transportation projects
- represented clients in discussions and negotiations with regulatory agencies regarding agency interpretation of complex regulatory provisions, such as EPA’s definition of “solid waste”
- drafted and reviewed proposals for various federal and state legislation and local ordinances regarding a wide range of environmental, land-use and project-related issues.