Just as most construction projects depend on a solid foundation, legal success in the construction sphere also depends on a strong foundation of experience, insight and innovation. Lawyers at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP bring a comprehensive, strategic approach to each project, drawing on direct construction and litigation experience as well as insight into government and politics. We have represented clients on some of the world’s largest construction projects and are committed to providing our clients with creative, common-sense solutions to the increasingly complex challenges facing major development and infrastructure projects.
The lawyers in our construction practice readily draw on the resources and technical abilities of a wide range of practices—including project development, finance, risk management, alternative dispute resolution, litigation and government contracts—to effectively represent contractors, engineers, developers, lenders, sureties, project owners and national, state and local governments. Our practice includes all matters related to the planning, financing and construction of commercial, residential and large-scale infrastructure projects—such as airports, highways and bridges, subways, light rail systems, dams, tunnels, mines, wind farms, power plants and pipelines—in the United States and throughout the world.
Akin Gump’s construction lawyers have managed complex projects and litigated disputes across the entire spectrum of public- and private-sector development and construction activity. We are frequently called on to provide risk, valuation and schedule assessments on complex infrastructure and commercial projects for contractors, owners and financial institutions.
Civil and Infrastructure Projects
Our lawyers have been engaged as lead counsel to evaluate, manage and litigate projects throughout the United States and overseas, including:
- major highway and bridge construction in Alabama, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia
- a 3,000-acre mixed-use project at the site of an abandoned international airport, the largest urban infill project in the United States
- major tunnels and related underground work in Arizona, California, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Virginia and Wisconsin
- a criminal justice center and correctional complex in Maryland
- wastewater treatment facilities throughout the United States
- runways and airport facilities for a U.S. air base in the Philippines
- locks and dams in Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri and Pennsylvania
- false claims relating to construction in the South Pacific
- construction of a light rail project in New Jersey
- the design and construction of the first salt mine constructed in the United States in over 25 years.
Resort, Mixed-Use and Commercial Projects
Our lawyers have assisted clients in a wide variety of commercial developments, including:
- risk assessments and litigation for a $600 million mixed-use resort in Florida
- the acquisition, development, leasing and financing of hotels, resorts and hospitality-related businesses by a major New York Stock Exchange company
- litigation arising from the construction of a multimillion-square-foot office headquarters in Illinois
- a 1,200-acre project involving the construction of 900 single-family residences in a gated community with a championship golf course
- resolution of claims against the government of Saudi Arabia in conjunction with housing projects
- litigation and bid protests resulting from the construction of embassies and consulates in Colombia, Japan, Kuwait and Russia
- development of privately funded buildings to be leased or owned by the U.S. General Services Administration in Georgia, California, Illinois, Kentucky, New York and the District of Columbia
- numerous projects related to the acquisition, development and redevelopment of nationwide hotel chains
- hotel developments in Belize and Colombia
- construction of five dormitory buildings in New York.
Industrial and Energy Construction
Our lawyers have provided legal and strategic advice with respect to the design and installation of:
- a $6 billion nationwide fiber optics network
- the construction and rehabilitation of power plants in Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas
- wind farms in Illinois, Maryland, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and West Virginia
- automated traffic systems in California, Connecticut, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia
- a $2 billion power project in Indonesia
- a major North American natural gas pipeline construction project involving the United States and Canada that will be one of the largest privately financed infrastructure projects in history
- numerous multibillion-dollar airport construction projects.
Government Contracting Projects
Our lawyers advise clients on the terms and conditions of contracts, subcontracts and liens, and we have an active practice with government entities, including the departments of Defense, Energy, Health and Human Services, State, Veterans Affairs and Transportation, as well as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the Agency for International Development and the General Services Administration. Clients often seek our assistance when government agencies change contract requirements (either formally or constructively) or when the contractor seeks to amend the contract through engineering change proposals. When such actions occur (e.g., differing site conditions or delays), our lawyers become involved in the pricing of the contract adjustment by assisting in the evaluation of allowable costs through the application of the cost principles and other price adjustment policies and procedures relevant to the particular agency.