- Represents clients in intellectual property (IP) disputes at the International Trade Commission (ITC), in federal court, and in proceedings at the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Provides guidance for innovative IP-based domestic and global transactions.
- Counsels clients on the implications of judicial decisions, legislative action, and disruptive technologies, along with the impacts and risks to their business, products, and customers.
David Vondle‘s practice focuses on complex IP disputes, particularly in Section 337 investigations at the ITC, and providing strategic IP counsel on significant corporate transactions.
Representative ITC Experience
- Represented 3M as lead counsel in a three-patent dispute involving 3M’s ground-breaking shielded ribbon cable technology against Amphenol Corporation. Just before the start of the trial, Amphenol entered into a consent order addressing all accused products.
- Obtained a complete victory for a leading consumer electronics company where the complainant asserted five patents related to video processing technology that would have excluded virtually all of the client’s products from the United States. The parties settled after the ITC affirmed a determination of no violation.
- Represented the leading human interface technology company in an ITC investigation involving touchscreen controllers for mobile devices, obtaining a favorable settlement after trial.
- Represented a leading consumer electronics company in an ITC investigation relating to televisions and television tuners, obtaining a complete win at trial that was affirmed in its entirety by the ITC. The complainant subsequently withdrew its appeal to the Federal Circuit.
Representative District Court Litigation
- Represented 3M Company in the Central District of California, asserting false advertising and counterfeit sales of 3M’s industry-leading personal protective equipment (PPE), including its N95 respirators, during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our team secured a complete victory for 3M, obtaining a permanent injunction and other relief against a company marketing and selling counterfeit 3M PPE.
- Represents 3M in defense of a three-patent patent infringement case filed by BD Technology Partners in the District of Minnesota. The technology relates to smart air filter patents. The case is in the early stages of litigation.
- Represented one of the world’s leading Internet and software companies in patent litigation involving a variety of software technologies.
Public Service and Affiliations