- Handles complex criminal and civil litigation.
- Extensive experience in crisis management.
- Leader in firm’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) and reputation recovery work.
Drawing on more than 25 years of litigation experience, Stacey Mitchell represents clients in complex criminal and civil litigation. She also provides strategic advice to companies on a wide range of environmental regulatory matters, including compliance assistance, project development and climate adaptation.
- Defended a senior environmental manager at a global chemical company, resulting in the declination of prosecution.
- Advises clients regarding their environmental regulatory obligations and assists in developing effective, high-quality compliance programs that are fully integrated with their organizations’ business strategy.
- Counseling clients on the potential implications of climate change in the context of long-term business decisions, including in the context of current environmental compliance and reporting obligations.
- At the EPA, advised the Administrator and other senior leadership on legal and policy issues and options, including in the context of the agency’s development of regulations related to water, waste pesticides and toxic substances. This included the agency’s response to oversight by Congress, including in relation to the Clean Water Rule and the Flint, Michigan, water crisis.
- While at the DOJ, ran an office of more than 40 prosecutors handling federal pollution and natural resource criminal matters nationwide. Worked closely with personnel in the United States Attorney’s Office, as well as with officials in the departments of the Interior and Commerce, and the United States Coast Guard.
Public Service and Affiliations