Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP has a strong interdisciplinary practice to support sovereign governments in Washington, D.C., and around the world. The firm’s resources include one of the largest and most successful public policy practices in Washington, D.C., a preeminent international trade policy practice and strong regulatory practices to assist in understanding and responding to developments in the United States that affect foreign governments and the companies they represent.
The Akin Gump sovereign government team comprises sophisticated lawyers and other professionals with extensive senior government and private practice experience. Included among our team members are professionals with distinguished careers in government, who served in positions including:
- Members of Congress
- Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan (SRAP)
- Assistant Secretary of State for Political Military Affairs
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs
- Deputy Assistant to the Vice President for National Security Affairs
- Special Assistant to the Secretary of Defense
- Associate General Counsel in the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR)
- Senior Advisor for International Economic Affairs and Senior Counselor to the Director of the National Economic Council at the White House
Further, with offices in Moscow, London, Hong Kong, Geneva, Beijing, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, Akin Gump has a global reach and international capabilities.
Our team provides comprehensive government relations advocacy and policy services to foreign embassies in the United States. We offer embassies a broad range of services concerning economic and trade issues including:
- advising on trade relations, negotiation of bilateral and multilateral free trade agreements (FTAs), implementation of World Trade Organization (WTO) agreements and advocacy with regard to trade and WTO disputes
- advising on all matters related to FTAs, including advocacy before the USTR and Members of Congress, as well as with business community stakeholders
- advising on Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) renewal and reform of the program
- conducting analyses of bilateral economic relationships, including state-by-state and sector-by-sector analysis, which serve as a powerful tool for policymakers and parties seeking to expand diplomatic and commercial ties
- counseling on U.S. tax policy and tariff preference levels
- advising on efforts to secure Permanent Normal Trade Relations (PNTR) with the United States
- representing clients in antidumping and countervailing duty trade disputes.