- Has represented international and domestic clients in a range of corporate matters in emerging and frontier markets involving complex international trade and policy issues for more than 25 years.
- Has significant experience advising clients on managing sanctions risk relating to their business and transactions.
- Firmwide professional development partner and member of the firmwide Diversity & Inclusion Council.
Melissa Schwartz represents clients in joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), financings and corporate governance matters. With deep experience in emerging markets, she is skilled at advising clients and negotiating cross-border transactions, particularly those involving complex international trade and policy issues. Melissa is recognized for her skill at addressing complex international trade control issues in cross-border transactions involving parties from multiple jurisdictions around the world.
- Advised numerous funds with respect to the Russian, Venezuelan and other sanctions programs, including with respect to pending legislation.
- Advised numerous investment funds on compliance with U.S. sanctions regarding Venezuelan sovereign and PdVSA bonds.
- Advised numerous borrowers on sanctions and anticorruption provisions in financings both at the time of negotiation of the provisions and upon findings of potential violations.
- Advised on sanctions and international trade control risks in connection with M&A transactions and equity offerings, including negotiation of related agreements.
- Advised multinational companies with global footprints on U.S. sanctions compliance issues, particularly in light of Russian counter-measures to sanctions.
Public Service and Affiliations