Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s attorneys and advisors counsel leading enterprises in the metals and mining industry on project development and finance, environment, policy, trade, dispute resolution, acquisitions, disposals, antitrust and competition, tax and intellectual property matters in mature and emerging markets. Our metals and mining experience combines legal skills developed across a broad span of traditional natural resource expertise to provide our clients with seamless coverage and counsel.
Our metals and mining experience spans the value chain from extractive mining, exploration and production activity to debt and equity funding, power service, supply and equipment manufacturing companies, midstream ventures, transportation, refining and marketing. We have advised leading enterprises in the mining and minerals industry on:
- debt and equity funding, including convertible instruments
- negotiations of concessions with governments and relevant agencies
- initial public offerings on the key exchanges
- aboriginal matters
- design, implementation and monitoring of comprehensive compliance programs
- negotiation of joint ventures and agreements for the development, ownership and operation of mining and related energy infrastructure
- project development and finance matters
- mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- international investigations in connection with alleged legal acts
- defense of government inquiries and prosecutions
- negotiation of EPCs and EPCMs.
A selection of the experience of our lawyers focused on metals and mining includes:
- represented a major international copper company as lead project finance counsel in connection with the $1.2 billion Tenke Fungurume mining project in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which is slated to become the largest copper project in the world, producing over 450,000 tons of copper per year
- represented project sponsor with the negotiation of option agreements and royalties for 26 nickel licenses in Tanzania, our responsibilities including extensive diligence on the legal aspects of the licenses and drafting and negotiation of the option agreement and the royalty agreement with the current license holders
- represented a publicly traded silver mining company in obtaining $225 million of project financing to conclude the financing for its $700 million silver, zinc and lead mining and concentrate operations being developed in southwestern Bolivia
- represented project sponsor in connection with the construction of a gold mining project in Guinea
- represented the government of Liberia in connection with the award of certain mining concessions in Liberia and also advised the government with respect to best practices and procedures regarding the modification of the award process
- represented the mining companies in the construction of the $1 billion Stillwater Mining project
- represented an iron ore mining company in connection with the construction of an iron ore mine in the United States
- represented an energy company in connection with its 1600 MW mine mouth coal-fired power plant in the United States
- represented aluminum company in its planned joint venture with Abu Dhabi Basic Industries Corporation to develop and finance an aluminum smelter in Ruwais, United Arab Emirates
- represented an international bank in connection with its $352 million credit facility to Canadian Royalties Inc. for the development of the Nunavik nickel project in Northern Quebec, Canada.