On August 23, 2011, the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation (Innovation Center) announced a new initiative regarding bundled payments for care improvement. The new bundled payment models combine payments for physician, hospital, and other provider services into a single, predetermined payment amount for all services furnished to a beneficiary during a defined episode of care. The Innovation Center offers four different payment models for interested applicants. Akin Gump has put together a Comparison of Bundled Payment Models Chart comparing some of the features of each of these models. Further detail is available in the full request for applications (RFA), available at the Innovation Center website.
Entities interested in applying for any of these models should note the following program deadlines:
- Interested organizations must submit a non-binding letter of intent by September 22, 2011
- Applications must be submitted to the Innovation Center by October 21
- Interested organizations must submit a non-binding letter of intent by November 4, 2011
- Organizations who want to be considered for receipt of data must submit a Research Request Packet containing specific information about their study design (including how they will use data to construct an episode definition and develop care episode redesign protocols) by November 4, 2011
- Potential applicants must also submit a Data Use Agreement by November 4, 2011
- Applications must be submitted by March 15, 2012