W. Thomas Weir focuses his practice on oil and gas, corporate, partnership, trust, estate and gift taxation matters. Specifically, he has significant experience in publicly traded partnerships; mergers and acquisitions; corporate reorganizations, including insolvency reorganizations; international tax and tax controversy.
Mr. Weir’s representations from the last several years include acting as tax counsel:
- to the special committee of directors of a corporation that was acquired by the MLP that the corporation originally formed
- to a MLP in the purchase of a refinery services business
- to the underwriters in the IPO of an exploration and production MLP
- to an MLP in connection with the offering of $250,000,000 in notes
- to the creditor’s committee in the reorganization of a large electric utility
- to a group of funds in the sale of a U.S. mining company to an Indian conglomerate
- to a Canadian company in connection with the purchase of a U.S. refinery
- to a Russian company in connection with the purchase of oil and gas assets from a U.S. company
- to a Russian company in connection with the purchase of a U.S. company engaged in foreign telecommunications business
- to a Fortune 500 company in connection with an investment in two wind energy farms
- in connection with the sale of hotel assets in Texas
- in connection with the restructuring of a Mexican telecommunication company
- for a French company in connection with the purchase of U.S. assets related to energy services and manufacturing
- to a major U.S. bank in structuring its investment in an energy fund
- to a publicly traded energy company in a merger into another publicly traded company
- to a Texas-based energy company in connection with the sale of all its assets for an amount in excess of $2 billion
- to various funds and investors involving the structuring of their investments into MLPs
- to a major energy company in connection with a like kind exchange of oil and gas properties.
Awards & Accolades
For many years, Mr. Weir has been consistently ranked in Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America and Euromoney’s “Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisers.” Noted by one client in Chambers USA, he is “a tax encyclopedia: he knows the law and his recall is phenomenal, thus he can quickly assess what can and cannot work” and “he is wonderful to deal with and efficient.” Mr. Weir was recently honored by Texas Lawyer as one of its 2016 Lifetime Achievement honorees, and named to The National Law Journal's second annual list of Energy & Environmental Trailblazers. He was recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in 2003-2005 while resident in Texas and in 2006 and 2007, was listed in New York Magazine as one of the best tax attorneys in the New York City metropolitan area while resident at the firm’s New York office. Additionally, Mr. Weir was ranked as one of the top six tax advisers in the U.S. South by the International Tax Review in 1998.