Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s mergers and acquisitions (M&A) practice represents public and private companies, prominent investment funds, boards of directors and special committees, investors, senior management and shareholders in complex mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, partnerships and other strategic transactions. Our core M&A team is supported by our debt finance, tax, executive compensation and employee benefits, labor, intellectual property, real estate, environmental, antitrust, regulatory and policy practitioners. Our network includes relationships with financial advisors, investment banks, accountants and lenders throughout the world.
Akin Gump has advised on a variety of recent high profile M&A transactions, including:
Private Equity Transactions
- Novitex Holdings, Inc. in a $2.8 billion combination with SourceHOV, LLC and Quinpario Acquisition Corp. 2, a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company, to create a leading industry-solutions provider for financial technology and business services; Novitex is owned by certain funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of RegionalCare Hospital Partners Holdings from Warburg Pincus and RegionalCare Hospital Partners in its subsequent merger with Capella Healthcare, Inc. to form RCCH Health Partners
- Rizvi Traverse Management in its sale of music rights organization SESAC, which represents artists including Bob Dylan and Neil Diamond, to funds affiliated with Blackstone
- Angelo, Gordon & Co. in the sale of its stake in Oak Street Holdings Corporation to First Financial Bank, N.A., a subsidiary of First Financial Bankcorp, for $110 million in cash
- Blackstone Tactical Opportunities in its minority investment in Ai Media Group, LLC, a performance-based digital marketing services company
- Apollo Global Management in its management-led buyout of Constellis, a leading provider of operational support and risk management services, by a consortium of investors.
- IPI Data Center Partners Management, LLC in the acquisition of three data centers from Infomart Data Centers
Public M&A Transactions
- Kingston Technology, as a member of a consortium led by Bain Capital Private Equity, LP, in the consortium’s acquisition of all of the shares of Toshiba Memory Corporation for approximately $18 billion
- VCA, Inc. in its approximately $9.1 billion acquisition by Mars, Incorporated
- CenterPoint Energy in its announced $6 billion merger with Vectren Corporation
- 7-Eleven in its largest-ever acquisition, which included approximately 1,030 Sunoco convenience stores, a transaction valued at $3.3 billion
- Sanchez Energy Corporation in a strategic 50/50 partnership with funds managed by Blackstone Energy Partners to acquire Anadarko Petroleum Corporation’s working interest in approximately 318,000 gross operated acres in the Western Eagle Ford for approximately $2.3 billion
- Neff Corporation, operating as Neff Rental, in its $1.3 billion acquisition by United Rentals, Inc.
- WMIH Corp. in an announced merger with Nationstar Mortgage
Private Company Transactions
- Cognizant in its acquisition of Bolder Healthcare Solutions
- Delphon Holdco LLC in its acquisition by PWP Growth Equity
- Landmark Infrastructure Partners LP (the Partnership) in its signed agreement to acquire 127 assets located in 32 states from Landmark Dividend Growth Fund – H LLC, an affiliate of the Partnership’s sponsor, Landmark Dividend LLC
- MediaNews Group and the Los Angeles Times in the sale of CIPS Marketing Group Inc. to ACI Last Mile Network
- Conflicts Committee of Tallgrass Energy GP, LP in the merger of Tallgrass Development, LP with Tallgrass Equity, LLC
- XYZ Films in partnership with Jaunt Inc. in a first look deal for all of XYZ’s upcoming virtual reality projects
Akin Gump has been at the forefront of some of the most sophisticated transactions in recent years. In coordination with our preeminent financial restructuring practice, the firm has achieved market leadership positions for our role in distressed transactions, restructurings and 363 sales. In addition to closing scores of middle-market deals, our team has advised on a number of high-profile transactions, including global telecommunications mergers, groundbreaking traditional and renewable energy deals, and some of the largest leveraged buyouts in history.
Our M&A team advises clients with respect to:
- leveraged buyouts
- stock sales, asset sales and mergers
- joint ventures and strategic alliances
- going private transactions
- tender offers
- contested transactions
- sales of distressed assets
- acquisition financing
- shareholder activism matters
- tax structuring
- management and employee participation and incentive programs
- corporate governance matters
- anti-takeover preparedness and advice.