Michael N. Petegorsky is an associate in the firm’s intellectual property (IP) litigation practice, where he focuses primarily on patent infringement disputes and related claims such as trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract, and unfair competition. Mr. Petegorsky sits on the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Practice & Background
Mr. Petegorsky’s practice covers a broad array of technologies in district court litigation, inter partes reviews before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and Section 337 investigations before the International Trade Commission. He has represented companies in patent infringement cases involving consumer products, electrical and chemical engineering, telecommunications, and pharmaceuticals, as well as copyright and trade secret cases.
Mr. Petegorsky’s recent engagements include:
- Westech Aerosol Corporation v. 3M Company and GTA-NHT, Inc. d/b/a Northstar Chemical (W.D. Wash.): secured dismissal of all claims against defendants 3M Company and NorthStar Chemical in one of the first patent venue decisions under TC Heartland
- In the Matter of Certain Shielded Electrical Ribbon Cables and Products Containing the Same, Inv. No. 337-TA-1064: achieved favorable settlement for Complainant 3M in a Section 337 investigation before the International Trade Commission concerning high-performance shielded ribbon cables for data transmission
- Albert Corporation v. Openfolio Corporation (S.D.N.Y.): counsel for counterclaim-plaintiff Openfolio in a breach of contract, unfair competition, copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets litigation concerning websites and applications for managing personal financial portfolios; client Openfolio’s counterclaims were among the first brought under the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016; the case settled favorably for our client after we filed an early, targeted dispositive motion
- defended a leading telecommunications company in a patent infringement suit involving mobile navigation systems in the District of Delaware
- defended an innovative pharmaceutical company in a patent infringement litigation over antibody therapies in the District of Delaware
- Ultratec, Inc. and CapTel, Inc. v. Sorenson Communications, Inc. and CaptionCall, LLC (W.D.Wis.): representing defendants Sorenson and CaptionCall in multiple district court patent infringement cases concerning telecommunication systems and devices for the hearing impaired
- CaptionCall, L.C. Ultratec, Inc. (PTAB): representing petitioner CaptionCall in multiple inter partes review proceedings over patents concerning telecommunication systems and devices for the hearing impaired
- defended a major consumer electronics company in patent litigation related to digital imaging technology in the Eastern District of Texas
- defended a professional sports franchise in a class action lawsuit under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- presenter, Case Law Still Buffering: Intellectual Property Issues in Film & Interactive Media, CLE Seminar, Santa Monica, California (June 23, 2016)