Joint ventures can be a path to possibility, paving the way to enter new markets and launch major projects. We help clients uncover strategic advantages and minimize risk in every relevant area, including intellectual property, tax, environmental and antitrust. We believe that it is essential to have legal counsel with the skills to capitalize on synergistic partnership opportunities.
- Represented Schlumberger New Energy, a new Schlumberger business focused on low-carbon and carbon-neutral energy technologies, in its joint venture agreement with Thermal Energy Partners to create GeoFrame Energy, a geothermal project development company.
- Advised BC Energy Investments Corp. (formerly Bridas Corporation) in forming the largest privately-owned integrated energy company in Argentina through the combination of BC Energy Investments’ and BP plc’s interests in Pan American Energy, Argentina’s second largest producer of oil and gas, and BC Energy Investments’ interest in refiner and marketer Axion Energy.
- Represented Rattler Midstream LP, which owns, operates, develops and acquires midstream infrastructure assets, in its joint venture with Amarillo Midstream, LLC, an ArcLight Capital Partners portfolio company, to operate a gas gathering and processing system and construct a natural gas processing plant in Martin County, Texas.
- Assisted Roswell Park Cancer Institute, a U.S. medical research institution, in securing U.S. government policy support, a first-of-its-kind Office of Foreign Assets Control license and an export control license for a successful, high-profile joint venture with Cuba-based Center of Molecular Immunology for the development and commercialization of cutting-edge cancer treatments. These enabled a U.S.-Cuba commercial partnership to fast track development to help bring a groundbreaking lung cancer vaccine developed in Cuba to U.S. patients, marking the first joint venture concluded between U.S. and Cuban entities since before U.S. sanctions were first imposed on Cuba.
- Advised Mail.ru, the leading internet and information technology company in Russia, on the formation of two joint ventures. The first was with Alibaba Group, a global digital commerce company, PJSC MegaFon, a pan-Russian operator of digital opportunities and the Russian Direct Investment Fund, Russia’s sovereign wealth fund. The second involved advising Sberbank, a state-owned Russian banking and financial services company, in its pursuit of a major online-to-offline consumer platform focused on food technology and transport services.