Our Hong Kong restructuring team is recognized as one of the leading creditor practices in Asia and, combined with the firm’s market-leading financial restructuring teams in the U.S. and Europe, is an integral part of a top-tier global financial restructuring practice. With unrivalled experience acting for groups of bondholders, distressed-debt investors, mezzanine lenders and other creditors on complex, cross-border financial restructurings, the team has advised on many of the major Asia-Pacific restructurings in recent years.
Our recent experience includes advising:
- a major lender on the AU$2.8 billion financial restructuring of senior debt of Alinta EnergyHoldings Pty Ltd one of Australia’s largest suppliers of power, gas and electricity
- an ad hoc group of bondholders on the financial restructuring of US$500 million of 7.5% 2020 bonds issued by China Shanshui Cement Group Ltd., a cement manufacturing company, following, among other things, a monetary default in the bonds
- an ad hoc committee of bondholders in the Corporate Reorganization of Elpida Memory, Inc.and its affiliate Akita Elpida Inc. This is the largest bankruptcy filing in Japan in several years and involves one of the world’s largest DRAM chip makers
- a working group of bondholders on the voluntary administration of Griffin Coal Mining Company Pty Ltd,Western Australia’s oldest and second-largest coal mining company
- an ad hoc bondholder group in connection with the restructuring of US$375 million convertible bonds issued by a subsidiary of listed Indonesian coal mining company, PT Bumi Resources Tbk
- GE services with the cross border insolvency of Spansion Inc., the world’s third largest provider of semi-conductor flash memory
- an ad hoc group of convertible noteholders in connection with Suntech Power Holdings Co., Ltd., one of the world’s largest panel manufacturers with operations in the PRC, Europe, the US and elsewhere around the globe
- an ad hoc group of bondholders on the corporate reorganization of Japanese consumer lender Takefuji Corporation, a Japanese consumer finance company
- the Agent in the restructuring of a syndicated loan to Village Roadshow Entertainment Group, a leading global entertainment company. Our efforts led to a refinancing that repaid the lenders in full.
- a steering committee of holders of US$309 million of notes issued by Winsway Enterprises Holdings Limited, an HKSE-listed and BVI-incorporated company with a substantial business in the PRC in the processing and trading of coking coal and other products